Updating Firmware on 1756-ENBT

SpecialK87

I was told I should upgrade the firmware on the 2 1756-ENBT modules that we have. Currently one is v6.001 and one is 3.003. The PLC racks they are a part of use MSG instructions to send/receive data to 10+ remote PLCs each. They also communicate with OPC servers to provide data for a SCADA system. What do I need to consider when changing the firmware? What could go wrong? Could I lose the ability to communicate with my remote PLCs or OPC server? How can I ensure compatibility?

Thanks,
Kyle

They are running fine. I suppose the want to mitigate security risks. I guess I should try to see if there are vulnerabilities with the different versions

If your system is running fine, Don't poke the bear! Read the change log to check if there's security updates. Be careful about upgrading firmware, if possible, keep a spare part near you. S*it Happens!

Let IT worry about that.

I'm a firm believer of "If it isn't broke, don't f'king touch it"

I'm doing this because of IT. My client is trying to get certified in something or another and are having a company try to attack their system. I need to tighten up security on the SCADA network.

The V3 needs to be updated, there is a bug in v3, otherwise no compelling reason to update v6.

I appreciate that info. I looked at the release notes and all it says for 6.005 is "various security enhancements". Seeing as I'm trying to tighten security for IT, I will most likely do the upgrade to 6.005. I figure if it has the most recent update I will be covering my a$$; not much more I can do security wise.

I will most likely do the upgrade to 6.005. I figure if it has the most recent update I will be covering my a$$; not much more I can do security wise.
The latest revision is 6.006 so should you decide to do upgrade, then this is a revision to use.
But I am with other people: - if you did not have any issues for the last 12+ years with old firmware then don't try to break it with upgrade.

In general, I would always advocate erring on the side of caution in these situations, but that should not mean a blanket "don't do it". I certainly would not advise that here. Looking at the Release Notes is the first place to start when trying to decide if there are any advantages to upgrading, like corrected anomalies, or any disadvantages, like an anomaly that may appear as a result of upgrading. But they won't always have poked their heads up before the Release Notes have been issued...

Also, searching the AB Knowledgebase for issues with specific releases is best advised...

620043 - 1756-ENBT or 1768-ENBT interrupted communications to a remote device could cause degraded bridge performance
Access Level: Everyone

That anomaly starts at revision 6.002 specifically and persists right up to the latest revision 6.006. You have a 1756-ENBT running stable in this system using revision 6.001. So that issue is "one" example where I would be cautious. I'm not going to exhaustively search and decipher technotes on all of the revisions above 6.001 for you. That was just to guide you in how to approach these upgrades.

If you review the other releases since your oldest revision 3.003, you will see there are several corrections to network related vulnerabilities and bugs, such as potential Denial of Service (DOS) attacks. So there may indeed be Security benefits in upgrading.

If you do decide to upgrade, then being prepared to "roll-back", just in case, is probably the best advice here, or having a spare module at the older firmware is a plus, as mentioned.

Just one "small" thing to note if going to the latest: To select revision 6.006 under a 1756-ENBT module profile, you must be using RSLogix v17 or higher. Else use Compatible Keying. That's "just in case" this application/site stipulates "Exact Match" for all modules and your project happens to be that little bit older.

Regards,
George

Go for it.... and do 6.006 like Contr_Conn said

I update a few a month and never had any issues updating the EBNT firmware

Go for it.... and do 6.006 like Contr_Conn said. I update a few a month and never had any issues updating the EBNT firmware

Based on my previous "life" I can say that there are two potential warnings about flashing very old ENBTs (and other older modules):
- flash memory is degrading with time. After 15-20 years it may easily fail Erase cycle and will never accept new flash.
- older modules, including ENBT, don't use a bootloader (like all newer modules). If flash fails for some reason, there is no way to restart it again and module will be bricked.

But should you decide to take a chance, then 6.006 should be used.