Siemens S7-1200 / Simatic Step 7

Or, what does the download/edit/upload config part of this message mean?
Is there a way to make changes that allows me to upload the program with what I have?

It means that if you download a project in V15.1, then you can upload that v15.1 project. Which means that the old program is gone, and doesn't help you at all.

our IT guy is still trying to find me a Win10 laptop with a real serial port

I have a Dell Precision 7520 with a e-Port Plus docking station that has a serial port and parallel port, but I think the 7520 is the last of the Precision models that supports the docking station with serial port. The docking station isn't a nice portable solution, but at least it exists.

Do you have a specific situation where using USB/Serial adapters is a problem?

I have a Dell Precision 7520 with a e-Port Plus docking station that has a serial port and parallel port, but I think the 7520 is the last of the Precision models that supports the docking station with serial port. The docking station isn't a nice portable solution, but at least it exists.

Do you have a specific situation where using USB/Serial adapters is a problem?

I have some older serial port only PLC's in an electrically noisy environment, and have found that I get goofy connections with a USB/serial converters.

I don't think me supporting two old siemens devices is going to warrant a Field FG...

It's not like I'm going to have some ah-ha moment and decide that I'm converting to siemens, I'm just stuck with these two...

I'm still working on downloading V13 SP1
they have it split up into 12 files, it let me download all the partial files, but when I tried to download the .exe file it told me that I had to wait until my registration is approved, tomorrow or the next day...

Will I need SP2 if my TIA shows they were done with V13 & V13 SP1?
is there something in SP2 that is going to be to my advantage?

Since you have TIA 15.1 installed, I assume that you have windows 7 64 bit.

13SP1 is compabtible with that.

For firmware update you maybe need memory card, since firmware update was not possible other way at beginning.

Later it was possible to download firmware also via profinet to 1200 CPU.

If that is case, new CPU can allmost be same price than one memory card.

If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it

Well, here we go again....

After waiting three days for Siemens to approve my registration I was finally allowed to download V13 SP1

Got it installed on my laptop, it recognized my license, all seems good...

So in V13 I created a new project, selected my PLC from the online list, and did the Upload Device as a New Station...

Only to be given the following error;

"The hardware configuration was created and downloaded with an incompatible version of STEP7. Could not upload hardware configuration."

o_O

And I see that V13 doesn't give you the Display More Information option like V15

Any Ideas???

JohnR

Last edited:
Try the following:

Create a new project
Add a new S7-1200 to the project, using the "Unspecified S7-1200 CPU".
Open the Device Configuration
Click the "detect the configuration of the connected device"
Go through the process, selecting your Ethernet adapter on the next step.
After it is detected, do an upload by highlighting the "PLC_1" (or name of your PLC) in the project tree, and click the upload icon at the top/middle of the toolbar.

HOW TO UPLOAD S7 1200 PLC WITH TIA PORTAL V13

Last edited:
That got me a little farther (or not)...

I got so far as the Upload Preview where I get the error;

"Program Blocks/ One or more blocks cannot be uploaded from the device / Ignore"

When I drop down the Program Blocks, it gives me a long list of error messages, they all contain this sort of verbiage;

"The Block 'xxxxx' on the CPU is not compatible with the STEP 7 project. Version of the block on the CPU: V13.0.0.0 -> Version of the STEP 7 project: V13.0.1.0"

So I'm assuming it telling me that the CPU is V13 while my project is V13 SP1?

One of the PLC's is V13 and the other is V13 SP1

So I try the upload on the other PLC, and get to the Upload Preview where it tells me;

"Restrictions for uploading to PG/PC"
"The online module 6ES7 214-1AG31-0XB0 V3.0 does not support uploading to PG/PC"

Two steps forward, three steps back.....

Well that procedure didn't get me anywhere, not sure what version of TIA that is but the screenshots don't match V13, but got basically the same results.

JohnR

I would have thought V13 SP1 would cover the one written in V13?
but the error I get seems to say otherwise/
Should I also download/install V13?

And why the problem with the one written in V13 SP1?
Can't upload via PG/PC, would that have to do with the HW version of 3.0.2?