Connector for 8 pin mini din

flyers

Guys,

Does anyone here know a better/easier way to fabricate a 8 pin mini din cable? I'm using it for Mitsubishi FX1 PLC to Proface HMI. The soldering at the 8-pin mini DIN is very tedious job, I tried to get the original cable from Proface, but the delivery is too long & expensive too. I need in bulk quantity also.

Is there a connectors/changer/pins which I can use to ease the job of making the cable myself.

The pinout as per attahced.

Thank you.

FX Series _AGP_AST_.jpg

Which Proface HMI is this?
Every Proface HMI I have ever seen uses the 8 pin Din for up/dn load only and communicates via the 25 pin serial or ethernet to the PLC.
Also all of the Proface HMI units that I have seen have this 8 pin Din connector as a TTL port and need an adaptor to connect it to a serial port.
Am I way off base or are you teaching me something new?

Which Proface HMI is this?
Every Proface HMI I have ever seen uses the 8 pin Din for up/dn load only and communicates via the 25 pin serial or ethernet to the PLC.
Also all of the Proface HMI units that I have seen have this 8 pin Din connector as a TTL port and need an adaptor to connect it to a serial port.
Am I way off base or are you teaching me something new?

Hi,

We are using Proface AST3301-B1-D24. There is no round port, it has 2 RS232 D-sub port and 1 USB port (programming).

The 8 pin is for Mitsubishi FX1S PLC.

Last edited:
Buy long (6', 12', whatever you need in length times 2) male to male straight through 8-pin MiniDIN "serial" cables, as used on older Apple products, then cut them in half. Ring out the wires, mark by color, and make your own cables by crimping on the DB9 ends. If you buy the cables from the same vendor, the colors should be consistent and you could make many at once without having to ring out each one, and as long as they are truly straight through, they colors on each side should match. You would take care of the MiniDIN jumper (3 to 6) at the DB9 automatically because 5 is already connected to 8 there.

Here is an example:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=928&sku=02316

Buy 10 of these for under $100, and you will have enough for 20 of your cables.

Buy long (6', 12', whatever you need in length times 2) male to male straight through 8-pin MiniDIN "serial" cables, as used on older Apple products, then cut them in half. Ring out the wires, mark by color, and make your own cables by crimping on the DB9 ends. If you buy the cables from the same vendor, the colors should be consistent and you could make many at once without having to ring out each one, and as long as they are truly straight through, they colors on each side should match. You would take care of the MiniDIN jumper (3 to 6) at the DB9 automatically because 5 is already connected to 8 there.

Here is an example:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=928&sku=02316

Buy 10 of these for under $100, and you will have enough for 20 of your cables.

Guys,

I tried to get a straight cable (8 pin mini Din) and cut it half and solder a 9 pin RS232 D-sub (with jumper), but this won't work, as I need to jumper the 8 pin mini Din pin 3 to pin 6 (refer to attahment above for pinouts). I was puzzle as I taught I can just jumper one side (9 pin mini Din), but i was wrong. So i must either get the cable with jumpered at pin 3 + 6 (8 pin mini Din) or custom made.

Tying the two wires together at the end of the cable is the same as soldering them together in the connector, so you should be able to use one of those straight through cables.