New 1747-PIC Service Pack 3 Patch

dmroeder

Lifetime Supporting Member
Original thread: http://www.plctalk.com/qanda/showthread.php?p=384968

I've had a patch put together for some time now, but I haven't taken the time to find a good place to host it. I've been super busy/lazy. I received enough PM's that I thought it was probably time to get on it.

This patch will work with both the upgraded version of SP3 as well as "native" SP3. It was about 23MB because I hand to compile it with a custom MS cabinet file that has the SP2 version of serenum.sys. This cabinet file is 99% of the size.

I added a feature that will check the internet for updates. This will be indicated to you in the status bar at the bottom of the form. If it says that there is an update, just click the bar. It will download the new version to a folder called "Update" that will be created in the location that the .exe is running in. It then opens the update folder where the new version was downloaded and closes the current version of the .exe.

The reason I did this was because if there were issues that came up, I could easily update it and everyone would be able to get the update without having check.

Just an FYI, sometimes when applying the patch, Windows catches what is going on and will prompt for a CD. Just select cancel. Then it warns you that core files are being changed, just select yes. It wasn't repeatable for me, so I wasn't able to suppress it.

So here it is and if anyone has any questions, suggestions, comments or complaints, let me know!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31084543/SP3Fix.exe

Dustin

Hi dmroedore. out this report "because system file are changed, you must be an Administrator on this machine to apply the patch. No patch was applied", but I'm Admin of this machine. if it's helpful, My machine have Spanish language.

Thx

Interesting...

When I originally tested it, the only machine that I had with SP3 on it was some crummy machine that ran a printer here at work. At the time I was just trying to see how it handled swapping the files around. Wouldn't you know that the machine had no administrator privileges on our domain which doesn't allow me to swap the files around. It was kind of a curve ball. So I put in some code to check for Administrator privileges.

I'll take a look and see what I can find out why it would falsely detect it. The hard part is going to be testing it with the limited machines that I have here. I'm on it though! I'll let you know what I find...

velasquezjeisson,

Is your computer on a domain? All of the computers that I have tested this on were part of a domain and detected whether they were an administrator or not. Maybe the issue comes from not being part of a domain...

I have sent you a link via PM that has a different way of checking for Administrator rights. If you could download it and tell me if it makes any difference for you, that would be helpful. Later this week I'll have access to a machine that has SP3 and is not part of a domain so I'll do some more testing on it.

Glad it worked for you! So do you have the version of Windows that was upgraded to SP3 or the one that was pre-installed with it?

This one was pre installed. I was searching around for a couple of hours before I stumbled across your fix, so once again, thank you.

Thanks dmroeder!! I have Windows XP Pro SP3, the upgrade SP3 rather than an original SP3. I've been pulling my hair out for days trying to configure the PIC-AIC driver. Your patch did the trick.
Donnie

Thank you dmroeder. I am not sure if you will see this, with the thread being so old, but I hope so. I used your previous patch on a work laptop and it worked like a charm. Then I tried it on my personal laptop and it is sp3 native. A little searching and I found this thread. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this. I really do. Your time, effort and knowledge are very valuable, and for you to offer this free says one of two things about you: either you are filthy rich and have no life, or you are a good person J. I am guessing the second choice.
Thanks again,
Mike