You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!


 
 
plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.
 
Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!


Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 16th, 2020, 01:23 AM   #1
matthew1
Member
United States

matthew1 is offline
 
matthew1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: virginia
Posts: 100
CCW Developer edition

Hello all,

Starting my first small project with the Micro 800 series.

I searched the forums but didn't really find an answer to my question.

Can any one list the adantage of the developer edition?

I understand that the key differences are UDT and online edits.

At this time neither of those are a need for me as this is a custom one off small application. >30 IO points.


Thought to reach out to the pros and see if theres any advantage being missed.

Thank you!
  Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 06:40 AM   #2
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

geniusintraining is offline
 
geniusintraining's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 7,123
I dont think it cost very much so it may be worth it for nothing more than to have a good working relationship with your RA rep but other than what you listed and below there is not much of an advantage... IF I was troubleshooting or running start-ups I would have the developer edition for the 'on-line' if for nothing else

Quote:
Developer Edition
Standard plus additional features including
full version of Micro800 Simulator and Archive
Manager, as well as extensive Micro800 controller
programming capabilities for an enhanced user
experience.
__________________
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more...OEM and aftermarket supplies... Aftermarket 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+, new USB to 485 modbus
  Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 06:54 AM   #3
damica1
Member
United States

damica1 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 801
If this is your first time working with CCW, I would get the feel for how everything works before spending the money.

You can always upgrade.
__________________
David M. Camp

Unlocking the power of IOT in Oil & Gas!
  Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 07:05 AM   #4
PLC Pie Guy
Member
Canada

PLC Pie Guy is offline
 
PLC Pie Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Halifax
Posts: 977
To me the Dev. Edition is a must have.
To not have UDT would make some projects look like mush and to not have online edits makes me feel like I'm working with a Micrologix.
I just went through one of those nightmares. Old MLX1500 to a PV550 over DH485. Had to re-commision an old machine that they didn't want to upgrade, just run. Every time I wanted to plug in my old WINXP PC I had to unplug the HMI, change the comms mode, re-start my driver in Linx, reconnect, go online, make the change, re-set the comms to the configured method, re-connect HMI, repeat. UGHHH. Not to mention, I don't have the source code, only the uploaded code with no descriptions symbols or documentation. With servo onboard at that. Never again! Online edits or I replace the PLC for something this circa this decade! Sorry to go OT but kind of relatable as the whole time all I wanted was the ability to change things, even timers online.
  Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 07:46 AM   #5
borisuk
Member
United States

borisuk is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew1 View Post
Hello all,

Starting my first small project with the Micro 800 series.

I searched the forums but didn't really find an answer to my question.

Can any one list the adantage of the developer edition?

I understand that the key differences are UDT and online edits.

At this time neither of those are a need for me as this is a custom one off small application. >30 IO points.


Thought to reach out to the pros and see if theres any advantage being missed.

Thank you!
I think that free version lets you program in Ladder only. If you need Structured Text you need to get developer edition. I would get developer just to be able to work online. It is very cheep compare to the other Rockwell software.
  Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 09:48 AM   #6
KirkC
Member
United States

KirkC is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: California
Posts: 14
The free version has all languages.

The UDTs in the paid version might be helpful.

The online editting is disappointing. It takes just a long to do an online edit as it does to re-download the whole program. If it is not important to keep the maching running while you make an edit you won't need this feature.
  Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 09:55 AM   #7
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

geniusintraining is offline
 
geniusintraining's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 7,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkC View Post
The online editting is disappointing. It takes just a long to do an online edit as it does to re-download the whole program. If it is not important to keep the maching running while you make an edit you won't need this feature.
Good to know... are you running V12?
__________________
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more...OEM and aftermarket supplies... Aftermarket 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+, new USB to 485 modbus
  Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 10:41 AM   #8
PLC Pie Guy
Member
Canada

PLC Pie Guy is offline
 
PLC Pie Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Halifax
Posts: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkC View Post
The free version has all languages.

The UDTs in the paid version might be helpful.

The online editing is disappointing. It takes just a long to do an online edit as it does to re-download the whole program. If it is not important to keep the machine running while you make an edit you won't need this feature.
If you allocate the extra memory to the changing of modes, run to program then this time is greatly reduced. Should be the max bytes by default but its the minimum.
  Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2020, 01:29 AM   #9
matthew1
Member
United States

matthew1 is offline
 
matthew1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: virginia
Posts: 100
Thank you all for the input.


I dont think it cost very much so it may be worth it for nothing more than to have a good working relationship with your RA rep but other than what you listed and below there is not much of an advantage... IF I was troubleshooting or running start-ups I would have the developer edition for the 'on-line' if for nothing else[/QUOTE]

That is kind of where im at. Except we host licenses. With 40+ machines pulling licenses and CCW is used quite a bit for VFD's having one license is impracticle. We have a very good relationship with RA to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLC Pie Guy View Post
To me the Dev. Edition is a must have.
To not have UDT would make some projects look like mush and to not have online edits makes me feel like I'm working with a Micrologix.
I just went through one of those nightmares. Old MLX1500 to a PV550 over DH485. Had to re-commision an old machine that they didn't want to upgrade, just run. Every time I wanted to plug in my old WINXP PC I had to unplug the HMI, change the comms mode, re-start my driver in Linx, reconnect, go online, make the change, re-set the comms to the configured method, re-connect HMI, repeat. UGHHH. Not to mention, I don't have the source code, only the uploaded code with no descriptions symbols or documentation. With servo onboard at that. Never again! Online edits or I replace the PLC for something this circa this decade! Sorry to go OT but kind of relatable as the whole time all I wanted was the ability to change things, even timers online.
yes the 1200 and 1500 ML can burn for all I care. Really dont like those because of what you siad above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisuk View Post
I think that free version lets you program in Ladder only. If you need Structured Text you need to get developer edition. I would get developer just to be able to work online. It is very cheep compare to the other Rockwell software.
V12 supports all languages.


Thanks All!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CCW Developer Edition Oliver Micka LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 3 March 4th, 2019 05:23 AM
CCW Developer Activation PLC Pie Guy LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 1 January 3rd, 2019 01:28 PM
CCW Standard And Developer Versions lpanek LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 8 March 12th, 2017 01:14 PM
AB CCW Dev Edition Jyonny LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 8 October 10th, 2016 05:47 PM
Connected Components Greg Dake LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 2 May 8th, 2015 11:44 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 PM.


.