1395 Digital DC Drives

chriswarrn

We have 8 1395 drives (1395-B73N-C2-P10), all running on a 0-10v control loop. We need to make these drives last at least 3 more years until the next major re-build, when we will convert everything to VFD's. I would like to be able to look at the running condition (i.e. preset, velocity, Arm. volts, Arm. current) for all the drives in real time from a PC in my office.

Using all y'alls (nearly) infinite wisdom, could you clue me in on the best (read cheapest) way to do this. This company is so tight you can hear the plant squeak flying overhead at mach .9 at FL350. The only way I could justify this is to be able to look at a continuously-updating log, so we could look back to it if we have an intermitten problem (which we sometimes do).

What's Driving the Drives. Do you have a gen tack on the motor, or a Quad encoder?

In some of our elevator apps. We use the PLC to drive the DC Drive via analog output to the drive board. Feedback to the PLC is a Quad encoder, so we can display speed and direction. On some drives the display on the drive will tell you arm current and voltage. Check the drive manual to see if you can pipe this into your PLC or PC for display.

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

All the drives are controled by an AB 5/04 that generates a single 0-10vdc control loop. There is no connection between the plc and the drives except for that series loop. Each motor has an amrature-mounted tach for speed feedback to the drives. I can check the needed readings on each drive individually using the AB Programming Terminal for the 1395 drive, but what I'm really needing is a way to look at them simultaneously and log them to a database for future reference.

I seem to remember using Controlnet with 1395 drives in the past.

You might consider checking the pricing on Controlnet interface cards for those drives; then you can get just about anything from them into the SLC.

This isn't going to be cheap. I don't think there is a cheap way to get anything out of a 1395. But here goes.
You could put a 1395-KP50 node adapter board in each plc and get a 1747-SN Remote I/O scanner for the plc rack. That will allow you to get information into the plc.
You could also use a 1395-KP51 multi-node adapter board in each drive and communicate across DH+. You wouldn't need any additional hardware for the plc. This would allow you to message from the plc to each drive and get data.
From there you should be able to use RSLinx to get data from the plc to your data loggiong software using OPC or DDE. I'm not sure, but you might be able to talk directly to the drives from RSLinx if your computer has a DH+ card.

Like I said, not cheap.

Keith