Mitsubishi software confusion

cretel

I am new to PLCs and decided to play with one in my free time.

I recently bought a Mitsubishi FX1N from a distributor and was told I had to buy the programming software as well.
Why are these things never bundled with software, made a complaint and was sent a program named MEDOC, which doesn't work on my windows 7 notebook...

I have searched high and low on the mitsubishi website but I cannot find a link to the demo software download.

I am also confused as to MEDOC, GX, GX IEC and GX works 1 2 3, what are the differences?

EDIT:
Also found out that in China, mitsubishi gives out software for free, they get the product codes by registering an account. Seems like Mitsubishi China has the right idea...
Too bad my chinese stinks, using a chinese software might very well kill me

Last edited:
Nothing?

Chinese internet has informed me that it is possible to download an official chinese GX work2, change the registry value for the program to make it think it is a english version. Then use a english update patch downloaded from mitsubishi japan's website.

End result should be a fully functional english free GX work2.

Still digging about mitsubishi china's website, can't seem to find the download button.

EDIT: Need to login to get the download but you need a legitimate china mobile phone number to get an account. damn.

Last edited:
I am new to PLCs and decided to play with one in my free time.

Then you need to read the manual written for your PLC. In the following thread there is a link to the manual:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=86903&highlight=Mitsubishi+FX1N

On page 1-2 there's a graphic explaining what you need to program a Mitsubishi PLC.

Why are these things never bundled with software

Welcome to the automation world and its business model.

made a complaint and was sent a program named MEDOC, which doesn't work on my windows 7 notebook...
I think that Medoc is a DOS-based software:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=77589&highlight=Mitsubishi+FX1N

I am also confused as to MEDOC, GX, GX IEC and GX works 1 2 3, what are the differences?

I'm not an expert on Mitsubishi. So I googled it and found this brochure:

https://us.mitsubishielectric.com/f...-base/getdocument/?docid=3E26SJWH3ZZR-38-1424

It's weekend. 🍻

Why are these things never bundled with software

As nhatsen said, "welcome to automation and its business model". For better or worse, though, there are reasons that some companies use that model. Ultimately, a big part of it is "you get what you pay for".

The answer is that everything costs money to develop, and different customers need amounts of SW and HW. If the cost of developing the software is bundled into the HW, that punishes companies that use lots of HW but have few employees. Serial machine builders like that are some of the automation companies favorite customers, and they want to keep them happy. They buy the software once, as a cost of doing business, and then buy controllers over and over and over again.

It is unfortunate for people like you, who are individuals trying to learn PLC programming on your own, but honestly, you aren't the target audience of most automation vendors.

I am in the U.S. but when I went looking for GX Works, I had to call a supplier to order it and they sent it to me on disc. I think it was only around $750 and I used it for two hours and will probably never need it again.

I have not used Medoc, but if its dos based, you might try running it in DOSbox. it takes a bit of configuration to get it to work with your serial port. I have never tried to use it with a USB to serial converter only a real serial port.

If you want cheap or free, check out Automation Direct. Most of their software is a free download and the Click PLC can be had for around 70 US dollars.

Last edited:
It is unfortunate for people like you, who are individuals trying to learn PLC programming on your own, but honestly, you aren't the target audience of most automation vendors.

Yeah, just trying to upgrade my skills to beef up my resume. Who knew it'd be so costly, I do see how software costs are negligible in the long run for professionals and companies though.