Any experience with Wohrle Anka Text Display?

Johnny T

Hi

I'm going looking at a job next week where the customer needs some new messages putting on an old Wohrle (it actually says Wohale on the unit) Anka text display (part # AV3-220 06 400 )

They have their messages stored on an EEPROM and I've managed to 'edit' the messages before but never add new ones.

The way I did it previously was to upload the EEPROM contents to my computer and edit the message from my prommer software and then burn it back into the EEPROM. I found that, as long as my replacement text was exactly the same number of characters as the replaced text it worked. However, if I tried to add more characters and burn the EEPROM the display just came up blank.

I would guess that the messages in the EEPROM are at a certain 'address' and the PLC sends the address of the message to display to the unit. But I couldn't understand why if I added just 1 character then it ended up blank. I would have thought that the messages would have ended up truncated by 1 character (because the address was wrong for the start of the message).??

So, basically I'm looking for any info you have on this display that would help me a) understand how the thing is being addressed and working and b) give me the knowledge with which to add new messages to the display.

By the way, its connected to a Siemens S5 PLC if it helps.

Many thanks for any light you can shed on this

Cheers

JT ;-))