Allen Bradley Generic Ethernet Module

bbishop108

So I am trying to add a generic ethernet module for my plc, I am using a compactlogix L16ER-BB1B and I am trying to add a keyence IV-H500MA camera. So when I select generic module, I see the place for entering a name, and a place for the ip address.There is also a section listed as Connection Parameters, with 2 columns one listed as Assembly Instance and one listed as Size. I do not know what values I need to enter into these 2 columns for Input, Output, and Configuration. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Comms Format = Data-INT
Input Assembly Instance 100 Size 196
Output Assembly Instance 101 Size 6
Configuration Assembly Instance 1 Size 0

Comms Format = Data-SINT
Input Assembly Instance 100 Size 392
Output Assembly Instance 101 Size 12

Comms Format = Data-DINT
Input Assembly Instance 100 Size 98
Output Assembly Instance 101 Size 3

https://www.keyence.com/mykeyence/?ptn=001

dmargineau, thanks for this info. Unfortunately after trying all 3 of these formats, it still does not recognize my camera. I keep getting the same fault code 16#0204 Connection Request Error. Still not sure what I am doing wrong here, but my plc will not place nice with this camera!

I presume you have entered the same IP Address into the Keyence camera setup and you have initialized it.

The setup I have posted is from the Keyence IV-H Logix communications manual; only the manufacturer support could help you if these settings are not functional (the Field Network User Manual has conflicting information regarding same parameters)

This is the link for the Field Network User Manual; it has some EIP information too.

https://www.keyence.com/mykeyence/?ptn=001

Untitled.jpg

Ok,so after speaking with Keyence today I discovered that I did not have the ethernet/ip option enabled on the camera. Once I did that and configured my plc for INT settings, it recognized my camera with the generic ethernet module. Yeah! Now onto the next issue is being able to change laser programs via ethernet ip. After looking at the sample programs provided by keyence, they have data tags that I have not been able to create. The data type, for example, is Camera_Send_Data, there is also one for Receive as well. I do not know how to set up these tags for being able to change camera programs. Thanks for all the help that has been provided, this has been some interesting learning for me as this is all new!!!

That makes sense, had not considered that they were UDTs. So I went ahead and did the export/import combo to get them into my program, made the changes to match the keyence example. Sadly still not changing camera programs! The logic looks good, I am not getting any errors from the camera, and yet the camera program still will not change! This is very confusing to me!

SUCCESS!!!!! I can't thank you enough for all your help dmargineau, they definitely don't make this easy!!! So to recap everything I had to do to get this to work: 1.On the Camera I/O settings page, under the inputs tab towards the bottom is a section listed as Options. The Enable program switching option has to be UNCHECKED!!! 2. In the Advanced settings, under the Environmental tab, select Settings. This brings up the Field Network Options, CHECK the Ethernet/IP(TM) box!!! 3. After those camera options are set, I was able to copy the UDT files from the Keyence programming example, and then made identical plc program changes to match the logic used in the example program. 4. I had to configure a Generic Ethernet Module, which I just called camera, and set it to the INT Comm format with all the Connection Parameters you previously mentioned. Now that I have the basic format working, I will be able to incorporate this into my actual application. Again, thank you so very much for all your help!!!

Glad you got it going...You're very welcome.

They don't make it easier, purposely or not...

Wish they would use native speakers when translating their technical documentation (and that goes for Cognex and Siemens too!) and mitigate the contradictions or ambiguities from within posted, available, said technical documentation...Oh well...:D