Micro800 Ethernet comms to control Techniques (Nidac) Drive

bgtorque

Hi all. My experience is using Studio5000 / RSLogix5000 to program CompactLogix PLC's. I need to use a basic (cheap) PLC to get data from a Control Techniques Drive (about 9 DINT's for Speed, Torque, etc) and then display on a PanelView Plus 600. Its a bit extravagant to use even a basic CompactLogix for this, so I believe the most basic AB solution I can go for is the Micro820.

In Studio5000, to add in CT Drive comms, I simply just add a Generic Ethernet Module and setup the IP address of the CT Drive and the Connection Parameters and that is pretty much it. I look in the Controller Tags and there is my DINT array that I can interrogate for the information. Very simple.

Anybody any clue how to replicate this in Connected Components Workbench for the Micro820? I cant seem to fathom it out at all?

Just to clarify, I am not doing any control of the Drive from the HMI or Micro820, merely displaying on the HMI parameters like speed, Torque, etc.

Thanks.

I haven't used the Micro 8s with an Emerson Servo, but I use Micrologix 1100 and 1400s all day with them. Messages are super easy to set up

Have you looked into the Micrologix instead of the 800s?

Would it not be more expensive? I'd need a 24Vdc power supply and an Ethernet module, unless there is aa model with both of those elements embedded? I'm guessing the cost is much higher too?

Models and pricing vary, but the 1100 does come in AC models and has Ethernet built in to all models.

Might not hurt to ask your supplier for a quote!

Like I said, I have no experience with the Micro 8's, but the guys here who have used them aren't very fond. The extra time it takes to program and edit doesn't cover the cost savings.

Would it not be more expensive? I'd need a 24Vdc power supply and an Ethernet module, unless there is aa model with both of those elements embedded? I'm guessing the cost is much higher too?

1763-L16DWD US $694.00 List

1763 MicroLogix 1100 System, MicroLogix 1100, 12/24V dc power, (10) 12/24V dc digital inputs, (2) 10V analog inputs, (6) relay outputs -Ethernet

If you look in the sample programs that come with CCW there's a couple examples of messaging.

Two side points-
Myself and another individual once spent a sixteen hour day trying to figure out why we couldn't get a Control Techniques drive to function properly over Ethernet/IP. Turned out the data mapping in the included printed manual was incorrect. What a pain...
I wouldn't install a MicroLogix on any new projects, just as I wouldn't a SLC500 or PLC5. This is legacy equipment, even if you can still buy it. The Micro800 series is a great value, despite it's detractors.

Last edited:
I wouldn't install a MicroLogix on any new projects
The ML1100 is actually the latest addition to the MicroLogix line and will probably stick around for a while...1400s are a bit older but still going strong...

The Micro800 series is a great value, despite it's detractors.

Micro800 CPUs are what you actually pay for...A great value for a simple, unsophisticated, bare-bone functionality system...High level integration, especially of third-party devices, is not one of the available 'features' of the Micro controller family...:D

I use Control/CompactLogix for almost everything, and I last installed a MicroLogix (a 1400) in 2015 or so, but I'm curious as to what you can accomplish with a MicroLogix you can't with a Micro800?

As stated above, due to the time required for developing a Micro800 application, the dedicated software functionality, available documentation and support, at this time, this platform is not one of my choices...:D.

Secondly, at the core, Micro800 products are not a Allen-Bradley/Rockwell Automation product hence prior platform knowledge and familiarity is useless from a developer or end user's perspective.

If cost is the most important qualifier for a simple, machine based system then the 'just enough control' Micro800 is feasible; if development time and support is also essential as the cost is then MicroLogix is the way to go; for a full capability, modern system CompactLogix will be the obvious choice.

I believe that, initially, Micro800 was intended to replace the MicroLogix platform; seven years later though it surely doesn't look that way anymore...

Last edited:
That's a fair answer. I use/service a fair amount of European/Japanese equipment, so the more "IEC Style" isn't offputting to me.
The UDFB feature and support for ST and FBD are the selling points for me. The CCW-specific PanelViews have improved, but it's not uncommon for me to have a $200 Micro800 talking to a several thousand dollar PanelView+. That type of installation has it's own headaches, of course.
The smaller Siemens and Vipa PLC's compete on price, but a lot of people spec Allen-Bradley. I'd always rather use ControlLogix if it's an AB specced job, but pricing can be an issue.