RSLOGIX 500 basic help

lurby

I would like to find a reference guide, website, book, whatever to help me navigate the concepts of bits in a PLC program. I have been programming for a while but from an electricians point of view. Basic inputs and outputs with maybe a timer thrown in. I would like to find out more about how to manipulate the data. I am getting into CIP Generic Messaging. Bringing data in from a drive, manipulating it, and then sending it back out. I have some exaples of how it is done but the bits, bytes, and "long words" are really confusing to me.

The stuff that I should have learned twenty years ago!

FYI I use AB products. Looking for Micrologix specific help (1100, 1400)

Thanks for your help

Just a quickie. A 'bit' is one binary piece of information. It can be seen as a switch - either on or off. Either a one, or a zero. No other value. A bit can also be seen as a status piece for a relay, an input or an output.

A byte, is eight of these bits strung together. One byte can store the status of eight relays, or eight inputs, or eight outputs. One byte can also be looked at as an eight bit binary number - think as small as 00000000, or as large as 11111111 or anything in between. Convert the number to decimal and one can get anything from zero to 255.

The byte also converts easily from binary to hexadecimal. 00000000 is zero in decimal, and zero in hex. 11111111 would be 255 in decimal and 'FF' in hex. Hexadecimal counts zero through nine, then A, B, C, D, E, F. One byte also holds one ASCII character meaning if the PLC wants to send a string variable (text) to a device (for display) it can send the characters one at a time.

Words can be two bytes, and depending on the processor, a long word might be two bytes, or four bytes. (A two byte word would have sixteen bits. A four byte long word would be thirty two bits.)

From here use Google and or the above mentioned manuals.
MadPoet.