blue screen with rs linx

g.robert

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was so happy. I finally invested in a new laptop. I even found one with a seriel port. I got a new Dell latitude D820. It has dual core intel processor 1.83GHZ with 2 gig ram. I even got the autocad lite from them (which by the way works great for typical control panel dwg requirements along with the block library I had built up).

The honeymoons over. I have XP Pro SP2. I have RS logix 500 (starter), panel builder 32 and rs linx lite. All are two to three years old and I let the support drop. I am getting fatal blue screens now. Sometimes it happens on boot. The one thing that sets it off everytime is when I try to close RS linx. Rs linx automatically opens. It controls com 1. I needed com 1 the other day for easysoft PRO to program some smart relays. I am downloading a free update for RS linx now. Any suggestions?

Run the RSLinx Launch Control Panel (in the Start Menu), and change it to NOT run as a service. If you can't stop it, without crashing, launch the Services applet (Services.msc) and set RSLinx to Disabled, then reboot.

Definitely do as rdrast suggests. Changing this setting will prevent RSLinx from launching automatically when Windows starts. You can also try the following:
  • open RSLinx
  • Select Communications and then Configure Drivers
  • Select your serial driver (AB-DF1-1 is the default name)
  • Click on the Startup button
  • Change from Automatic to On Demand
This will cause RSLinx to delay activating the serial driver until you actually try and use it. Note however that it will not shutdown the driver when you are done with it. You would still have to Stop it or close RSLinx to free up the serial port.

The symptoms you describe don't sound applicable to this, but check out this note about a hotfix for RSLinx running on a dual cpu machine. I would imagine a dual-core processor would also be considered a dual cpu machine. They also mention hyper-threading. From what I have read, the new Core Duo chips in laptops don't support hyper-threading but here is a link to the tech note:

R136336763 - HOTFIX: RSLinx 2.42 , 2.43 and 2.50 - RSLinx deadlocks when running on dual CPU machine

OG

** edit ** Even though your support has expired, you can still download the latest version of RSLinx from the Rockwell website. Just download the RSLinx Lite version. Even if you have Pro/OEM/Gateway. Your activation key will "convert" Lite to the proper version.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll try both. On the download, I had to leave while it was downloading. When I came back it seemed OK but my version of rs linxs lite reads the same in the properties which leads me to believe it did'nt install. (I still get blue screen if I try to close it)I found the download folder for the update but any exe I click comes up as a problem.

Are you saying I can upgrade to current rs linx (not lite version) at any time via web?

g.robert said:
Are you saying I can upgrade to current rs linx (not lite version) at any time via web?

AFIK, there is only one RSLinx application. Without an activation it runs in lite mode. With an activation is has the features allowed by the activation file.

On a windows machine with mystery problems developing after 2-3 years, I'd recommend a fresh install of the OS. It's sadly amazing what a difference it can make. Just make sure to patch windows as soon as possible after installation... preferably from behind a hardware firewall.

Then after re-installing test RSLinx after each new program is installed. Maybe you'll run into one app that doesn't want to play nice.