A Free HMI with Eye Catching Graphics is Now Available

Thanks Archie, I'll jump onto that and give feedback.

One more....

A BarLevel display that is set for FillDirection = Right always displays the tag value (see pic), it doesn't do this for Fill Left...

2013-11-19_000340.jpg

Have one of these ABB Micro 810s

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/Micro810

Was wondering would it work with this hmi ?
I believe some people have tried with the ModbusTCP, but I am not sure if they got it to work.

There was mention of CIP symbolic address capability, but I think it has to be a certain firmware revision. If that is true, then the CLX driver should work.

Here is a thread about that series:

http://advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=175.msg485#msg485

Last edited:
Whats the simplest way to upgrade my install to 3.61 ?
As long as the previous version is 3.5 or higher, it is fairly easy.

- Open a new blank project of the latest version
- Right Click AdvancedHMI is Solution Explorer
- Select Add->Existing Items
- Browse to the forms (.vb) files of your previous project and add them

Archie, forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question, but where's the toolbox for adding static lines, text, etc.

Or can we only add things from the Toolbox (i.e do all lines have to be "Pipes" with no animation)?

Archie, forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question, but where's the toolbox for adding static lines, text, etc.

Or can we only add things from the Toolbox (i.e do all lines have to be "Pipes" with no animation)?

In the ToolBox, there should be a Visual Basic Power Packs group. If it's not there, you can right click the ToolBox and select Customize and find the power packs in the .NET tab

Got it, thanks...

WoW ! a line is a power-pack !! lol

Last edited:
It seems like I can't select AdvancedHMI components and Power-Pack components at the same time, either by dragging a box around them, or using shift-click.

If the drag-selection includes one or more P-P components, only the P-P components get selected. If the drag-selection doesn't include a P-P component, then the AdvancedHMI components get selected.

If you select a P-P object first, then shift-click (or Ctrl-click) an AdvancedHMI object, the P-P object gets de-selected.

If you click to select an AdvancedHMI object first, then you can't select a P-P object at all with shift or ctrl-click.

There is obviously something that is making them "exclusive".

Is this a property of the AdvancedHMI objects that is set wrongly by default?

This is going to be a real pain in developing a screen...

It seems like I can't select AdvancedHMI components and Power-Pack components at the same time, either by dragging a box around them, or using shift-click.

If the drag-selection includes one or more P-P components, only the P-P components get selected. If the drag-selection doesn't include a P-P component, then the AdvancedHMI components get selected.

If you select a P-P object first, then shift-click (or Ctrl-click) an AdvancedHMI object, the P-P object gets de-selected.

If you click to select an AdvancedHMI object first, then you can't select a P-P object at all with shift or ctrl-click.

There is obviously something that is making them "exclusive".
I just tried this and get the same results. It must have something to do with the hidden Shape Container that is used to contain all of the shapes.

I've had other problems with these shapes. When I looked into the source code, I found that they do not follow the same patterns as all the other .NET controls.

I just tried VS 2013 and the shapes do not even show up.

The only work arounds would be to use a Panel with a border for a rectangle. Creating a custom control for an Oval is not too difficult. In fact, you can probably use a BasicIndicator for Oval or Rectangle shapes. The lines are a little trickier if they need to be on a diagonal.

I just tried this and get the same results. It must have something to do with the hidden Shape Container that is used to contain all of the shapes.

I've had other problems with these shapes. When I looked into the source code, I found that they do not follow the same patterns as all the other .NET controls.

I just tried VS 2013 and the shapes do not even show up.

The only work arounds would be to use a Panel with a border for a rectangle. Creating a custom control for an Oval is not too difficult. In fact, you can probably use a BasicIndicator for Oval or Rectangle shapes. The lines are a little trickier if they need to be on a diagonal.

Guess what.... and it's only about one sixth of the whole layout...

2013-11-19_020948.jpg

I also regularly got this TNS error.
Think I solved it eventually by changing the way I was reading things etc, but still. A concern.
Version is 3.5.9, does 3.6.1 address this as well?

The way I would go about this would be to draw it in a program like Adobe Illustrator or InkScape, export it as a PNG file, then use it as a background image of the form.

Which of course makes the form difficult to change (as in move things around to fit new stuff).

How difficult would it be to add basic shapes like lines to the AdvancedHMI collection? It would also be an advantage if line-coloring, thickness, blink, visibility, etc., attributes could be applied.

I looked at using pipes, but thought it was overkill so started looking for lines.

Surprisingly the line is actually difficult to make a control of. Visual Studio is designed to work with everything in a rectangle boundary. The line completely throws out this concept since it only uses 2 points. I've seen the source code to the power packs and it is much more complex than you would first think.