Help please - beginner PLC programmer!

hitz

Hi ppl,

I've just finished my second year studying Electronic & Computer Engineering @ Uni, in the UK. During summer, i'm involved in an engineering placement. My task is to program a PLC and link it up to a HMI unit for controlling a simple machine. Basic functions needed are to control a motor - at one speed, (clockwise + anti-clockwise), a 2-button start, internal timers, and linking varias bits of info to the HMI unit. I'm using the Matsu****a FPO plc and the GT01 HMI unit. However, heres the problem: I've not covered anything regarding PLCs or controlling machinery on my course - yet! so i have only a slight idea on what to do. the programming is done via windows, and doesn't seem to complicated, tho i could be wrong. i hav the parts here and a powersupply - but no power connector to the mains - do i jus connect a live an neutral to that? u c i know very little regarding this, so i was wondering if someone can either help get me started (i have a fairly decent knowledge of electronics - only what i've learnt on my course) or point me in the direction of something that could be helpful!
also - wot can i use to test the outputs? wud some LEDs wired up to a resistor be sufficient?

thanks in advance for ur time,

Hit

Hit,

You are in a real mess, man!! I will try to help you , but there is a long way to go.

1. Yes, you MAY connect the power supply to a main circuit. Try to use one where you know the circuit breaker size and the location (in case you accidently cause it to trip out). Pick a circuit that has a 15 or 20 amp breaker, for safety. You should also try to get an in-line fuse (5 amps) to put in your line wire, for added safety.

2. Most PLC's have output and input indicatiors (LEDs) built into the modules. You can use the built-in Output LEDs to test you program. You WILL need some switches to conect to the inputs in order to test them.

3. For your program, you are right, it is not hard to get started. You may search the Archives on this site for many, many instructions on how to write a program. Your motor control sounds like a standard Forward/Reverse Start/Stop control circuit. To control your CW/CCW motor, you need something like this:

| FORWARD REV FWD. |
| STOP START INTLOCK. STARTER |
+----| |-------------| |----------|\|-------------( )---------+
| |
| |
| REVERSE FWD. REV. |
| STOP START INTLOCK. STARTER |
+----| |-------------| |----------|\|-------------( )----------+
| |
| |

Last edited: