1756-RIO - Used as an Adapter for SLC?

rjp280

Guys,

I need to upgrade from PLC5 which is being utilized in a remote rack. The processor being utilized in the primary rack is a SLC 504 (L542). Can a SLC using a 1747-SN as a scanner utilize Logix remote IO using a 1756-RIO adapter for basic IA16/OA16 modules?

Thank you!

Last edited:
going from a PLC5 to an SLC 504 is a downgrade not an upgrade
the SLC5 series and the PLC 5 series are on the down hill side of their life
Why not just upgrade to a Compact Logix you can read remote racks better with them and you can use your existing I / O with network adapters

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

First, the technical answer: no, you cannot use a PLC-5 Scanner or a 1747-SN Scanner to run 1756 I/O with a 1756-DHRIO module as an Adapter.

Another technical answer: there is a solution to replace PLC-5 controllers which are running one or more of their DH+/RIO ports in "RIO Adapter" mode: the 1756-RIO (not DHRIO, RIO).

This is a Remote/IO only processing module. While it's usually built to serve as a large network RIO scanner, it does have RIO Adapter mode. There must be a ControlLogix in the chassis to control the 1756-RIO.

An overall upgrade to both the PLC-5 and the SLC-500 controllers is something you should consider, but I presume there are good technical and commercial reasons for doing what you want to do.

I'm sympathetic; I am covered in grid and fiberglass dust as I re-terminated dozens of Profibus DP connectors on a 12-year-old system that I was assured was "running great" before we upgraded the Profibus Scanners.