Siemens OPC Server Help After Moving to a VM

antsrealm

Hi,

I have attempted to move some software that runs in XP from an obsolete APC to a new windows ten APC. The new APC is running VMware and I have virtualised the system and moved it across with minimal fuss.

The one problem I do have is that the configured OPC server is not communicating with the PLC and I know next to nothing about it.

The old APC had two ethernet ports. One was a CP-1612 card and one was on the onboard NIC.

The PLC seems to communicate via the CP-1612 and I think the other is used for the plant comms and winvnc etc.

the new advantech APC has two onboard ethernet ports and I am attempting to use those to communicate in place of the CP-1612.

It looks like some of the communication configuration removed itself when it saw that the card was missing. In the station configuration editor it said "the module was removed from configured operation". This was a IE General type. I had manually added it again but the status indicator is grey and it has loaded default parameters.

Can someone give me some advice in regards to this. I have looked at everything but I'm obviously missing something. Is it possible to use the regular NIC and what areas do I need to look in to correct that change in hardware.

Thanks,

An OPC server installed in a computer has two sides, one side communicates with the PLC or PLCs and the other with OPC clients, surely in the previous installation there was an interface for each side, and the same scheme should be kept in the new installation.

The VM need also the two interfaces configured each with the correct IP, Mask, gateway, but I do not know how to do that in VMWare ... I do not have experience about this

But if I remember correctly it is not possible to use the same IP in the VM and in the host computer, therefore now on the side of plant comms the OPC server will have a different IP than winvnc or other services installed in that computer.

Last edited:
Exactly what version is Simatic Net on the PC ?

The usual method to be able to reach out onto the physical network, is to bridge a virtual ethernet adapter to a real ethernet adapter.
Assign the IP address of the virtual adapter to be in the same subnet as the real adapter but not the same IP. 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.11 for example.

It is also a good idea to specify the real adapters MAC address to the virtual adapter, but it should not actually be necessary.

If you have done the above (either ethernet interface) then Simatic Net can connect to the PLC, if you can ping the PLC.

So, that is the test you should perform.

Hi,

I have attempted to move some software that runs in XP from an obsolete APC to a new windows ten APC. The new APC is running VMware and I have virtualised the system and moved it across with minimal fuss.

The one problem I do have is that the configured OPC server is not communicating with the PLC and I know next to nothing about it.

The old APC had two ethernet ports. One was a CP-1612 card and one was on the onboard NIC.

The PLC seems to communicate via the CP-1612 and I think the other is used for the plant comms and winvnc etc.

the new advantech APC has two onboard ethernet ports and I am attempting to use those to communicate in place of the CP-1612.

It looks like some of the communication configuration removed itself when it saw that the card was missing. In the station configuration editor it said "the module was removed from configured operation". This was a IE General type. I had manually added it again but the status indicator is grey and it has loaded default parameters.

Can someone give me some advice in regards to this. I have looked at everything but I'm obviously missing something. Is it possible to use the regular NIC and what areas do I need to look in to correct that change in hardware.

Thanks,

Your original Simatic Net project was probably configured with the CP1612. I don't think you can just fix it in the station configuration editor, you need to fix it in the original project where the PLC comms were configured.