SLC 5/05 in ControlLogix I/O Tree?

recondaddy

Hi everybody!

I'm doing a project where my ControlLogix processor is communicating with an existing SLC 5/05, via Ethernet/IP. I understand how to communicate with the SLC 5/05 via a MSG instruction:
  1. SLC Typed Read
  2. Communications Path: 1,1,2,2.11.16.37
But, I was curious if the SLC 5/05 could be added to the I/O tree in the ControlLogix program -- perhaps as a GENERIC ETHERNET MODULE?

This is a completely gratuitous question, since I know how to set up a MSG instruction, but for my own technical development, I was wondering if it could be done.

As a side note, I really wanted to understand the Comm Format and Connection Parameters in the GENERIC ETHERNET MODULE dialog. Input? Output? Configuration? Assembly Instance?

Thanks.

The only reason I can think of right off hand why you would want the SLC in the IO tree is if you were doing produced/consumed tags. Otherwise, I don't think there would be any benefit.

The SLC series doesn't support an EtherNet/IP connection.
There is no possible way to use produced/consumed tags with a SLC processor.

Thanks for your input, folks.

Since I posted my original message, I've been doing a lot of reading on creating generic ethernet profiles in RSLogix. Input instances, Output instances, Configuration instances, etc.

That was really the thrust of my question was whether a Generic Profile could be created in the I/O tree for a SLC 5/05. I just didn't know enough about it to ask the right questions.

Thanks.

Just do a continuous read messages. If it fails, the communications to your SLC has failed. Don't forget to watch your connections. It may be necessary to stagger your messages

recondaddy said:
Hi everybody!

I'm doing a project where my ControlLogix processor is communicating with an existing SLC 5/05, via Ethernet/IP. I understand how to communicate with the SLC 5/05 via a MSG instruction:
  1. SLC Typed Read
  2. Communications Path: 1,1,2,2.11.16.37
But, I was curious if the SLC 5/05 could be added to the I/O tree in the ControlLogix program -- perhaps as a GENERIC ETHERNET MODULE?

This is a completely gratuitous question, since I know how to set up a MSG instruction, but for my own technical development, I was wondering if it could be done.

Hi There

sory to jump the que but can you give me some guidelines on how to send a MSG from a SLC5/05 to a controllogix PLC?

It will be much appreciated.
Thanks

Your SLC message must assume the destination ControlLogic is another SLC, and will therefore write to (or read from) a SLC-style data-table address - e.g. N20:0

In the ControlLogix, see Menu item "Logic -> Map PLC/SLC Messages"

Put entries in the mapping table to allow the ControlLogix to translate the incoming message write destination (or read source), into a ControlLogix array tag-name.

Note that the mapping only looks at the SLC file number in the message, and doesn't worry about the data-table type, but you should match data-types anyway. For SLC N files, use INT arrays in the ControlLogix.

Check the RSLogix5000 Help on "Mapping PLC/SLC Messages" for further information.

HTH

So, even if just for visibility purposes, is it at all possible?

No.

If you create a Generic Ethernet Module in the Logix 5000 I/O tree with the IP address of the SLC-5/05, it will fail to make a connection no matter what values you put in for the assemblies. The SLC simply does not support that kind of connection.

There is a very weak argument to be made that creating a module and Inhibiting the connection makes addressing MSG instructions a tiny bit easier because you can click on the module instead of entering the IP address in the CIP Path, but in my opinion that is not a reason to create an unusable connection that may mislead future programmers.