Strings WinCC -> S7-400

Jeebs

Hi,

Got a question thats been bugging my collegue.
We use WinCC to fetch data from a SQL DB. These are mostly strings.
Now we need to send a couple of these strings from WinCC to the PLC. We're using 8-bit type character strings.

The irritating part is that the string in the PLC has an additional character in front of the string. And we have no clue what this character represents.

Any of you know what gets added?

Thanks

Jeebs

What do you mean by extra character? Is there more than lenght + array of chars + end mark of zero in it?

To clarify, this is what is normal string

Code:
Byte 0 := 2 (lenght of string)
Byte 1 := 'a' (first char)
Byte 2 := 'b' (second char)
Byte 3 := 0 (end mark)
Is there more than that?

Last edited:
I normally do not use the string function for that kind of application, due to the length that is added to the front
I use a Char. array in my db.
This is the link directly as char string in wincc.
Hope that helps.
If you need a sample please PM me then I will make a sample project for you with a SQL call script.