OT: WAY OT... How small we are

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Saw this the other day and want to share it... not that its the first time I have thought about it, but now that I am getting a little older every day I am starting to think about things a little different.

This is a new released image from the Hubble that is done in color, so its really nice picture but the way they explained it was hold a dime up at arms length and this is the volume of the picture, to cover every view with a dime is a lot of little times you are looking at :)

Each little blip on the picture is a universe and since the "Milky Way" is just a blip... I find this very cool to think about.

This is a link for the picture http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2014/27/image/a/

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Earth's_Location_in_the_Universe_(JPEG).jpg

This is the best link... see if you can follow along left to right http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b6/Earth's_Location_in_the_Universe_(JPEG).jpg

I knew the first 4 but did not really think about how small our solar system was in the milky way and since the milky way is 100,000 light years across and has 300B (ish) stars and you can't even see the Milky Way in the Virgo Cluster... number 8 is just un-thinkable (or really cool to think about)

Hubble 2014.jpg

Years ago I remember watching a special on discovery about space, and they talked about one of these deep field Hubble images. I thought they said it had 2,500 galaxies in the image. And that image was equivalent to the size of a grain of sand, on your thumb, with your arm stretched out pointing towards the sky.

That grain of sand, against the sky contained 2,500 galaxies! Blew my mind!

To me there really is nothing more fascinating than the vastness of space.

When you think of how huge the average star is compared to our little speck of a planet, then think how that massive ball of fire is hopelessly dwarfed by the oceans of empty space between it and the next star! Conservative estimates put the number of stars in the observable universe at a few orders of magnitude higher than grains of sand in all the world's beaches and deserts... and yet there are nearly as many atoms in any one of those grains of sand as there are stars in the universe!

What if our entire universe is just a grain of sand on a beach in some other universe?

:eek:

images

What if our entire universe is just a grain of sand on a beach in some other universe?

I remember in grade school science being taught that there is nothing smaller than an electron.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the universe was part of a larger entity. That entity may be part of an even larger entity. Who knows?

The part that breaks my heart is that I know we will never really get to explore any of it in my lifetime. It will be a very long time before we could ever fathom how to leave our solar system. The biggest hurdle being a lack of a significant energy source among many other things.

The part that breaks my heart is that I know we will never really get to explore any of it in my lifetime.
Don't bet on that. Out of all the billions of star systems, there are probably millions that contain life, and many that have life similar to us, and a bunch that are more advanced and have been exploring space for thousands of years, and even some that have visited here - not with rockets but with quantum space/time travel through gates. All we need to do is to contact those beings and find out how they do it.

I suspect that they don't think we are yet ready or able to handle such technology.