GE FANUC - CPU331 - logismaster 90

noman-jamil

N
I am a regular user of Siemens S7-200.

I have just got my hands on for the first time with GE FANUC 331.

the only problem is the software is logicmaster 90-30, in DOS version, ver. 2.xx something. (quite difficuly, considering I am working on Microwin for Siemens, under windows.)

the problem I am getting is when I try to download the (new) program to the PLC, it says I/O configuration is not defined.

afters hours of messing around, I couldnt find the option to define so. it does'nt have a comprehensive help (as compared to Window versions).

could anyone advise what and where I am wrong?

thanks and Regards,

That's a pretty old system you're working with. The last version level of Logicmaster was 9.05. The current software for programming the 90-30 is called Proficy Machine Edition Logic Developer PLC.

But, to resolve your problem. When you download to the PLC, you are given the option of what to download; program logic, configuration, and reference tables. Selecting (N) for the configuration should solve your immediate problem. You make your selection by using the up/down cursor keys to move to the selection field and then use the <Tab> key to change through the choices.

You may also need to create a configuration for the PLC. The configuration is just a list of which I/O modules are located in the slots and what addresses are assigned to them. You access the configuration program by pressing F2 from the very first menu you see when you start Logicmaster. (You have probably been entering the programming half of Logicmaster by hitting F1).

Seriously, you're likely to run into many difficulties with software this old. When you do your configuration, you won't find any modules that were introduced since the date of the software. There were new instructions added to the function set that you won't be able to use. If you plan to use this PLC, you should get in touch with your local suppplier to talk about making it more current.

Edit: To access the help files at any time, hit ALT + H

Last edited:
Steve,

That's a pretty old system you're working with. The last version level of Logicmaster was 9.05. The current software for programming the 90-30 is called Proficy Machine Edition Logic Developer PLC.

We are using the same PLC's for our generators here at the hospital. Are you referring to the plc or the software or both for being pretty old? We have upgraded to the 9.05 you mentioned because I was told it worked under windows. Can't you program with the 9.05 or do you have to have the Proficy Machine Edition Logic Developer PLC. Is the Proficy a GE product? Thanks in advance

Gary

I was specifically referring to the age of the software, but it's not too much of a stretch to assume that the PLC firmware is at least that old.

There is nothing wrong with Logicmaster except that when they stopped upgrading it, they didn't stop enhancing the 90-30. That means that there are new features for the 90-30 that are unavailable to you if you continue to use Logicmaster. Furthermore, Logicmater can't program the VersaMax or VersaMax Micro PLCs or the newest PAC systems controllers.

Yes, Proficy Machine Edition is a GE Fanuc product. So is VersaPro which was an interim step between Logicmaster and Machine Edition. Conversion from Logicmaster to either of the Windows-based programming packages is a one way street. Once you have downloaded a Machine Edition or VersaPro program to the PLC, Logicmaster will no longer be able to display the program. In order to use Logicmaster, you would have to clear the memory first.

Steve,

So if one was to upgrade to any of the 2 windows bassed program one should upgrade the firmware?? Or should I ask, can the firmware be upgraded.. Thanks again..

Gary

There are recommended minimum firmware levels when you're using the newer software, but you don't have to observe them. The primary issue, as it was explained to me, is that under certain conditions, when you use VersaPro or Machine Edition to clear the fault tables, you can also cause the PLC to stop executing the program. You can restart it, but there are applications where it's not good to randomly stop the PLC.

Upgrading the firmware in a CPU350 and higher involves a download to flash memory. In CPU models below CPU350, it involves replacing an EPROM.

Last edited:
It is recommended to upgrade the firmware if you will be programming the units. The firmware can be purchased. If you look on the base of a 5 or 10 slot chassis you will see a chip with a label on it, that is the chip you replace.

This link will take you to firmware requirements for VersaPro but its my understanding that its required for all the new windows based software.
http://elitenet.geindustrial.com/te...,/?E=0000000000004503981,K=3144,ST=5,Case=369