PC to Redlion G3 over serial problems

robbo

Lifetime Supporting Member
HI fella's,

Would be great to get a few things fixed this end, if I could get some help.

Using Crimson 2 - 521B on the PC, and release build 721 on the G3.

Back in the XP days, I never had a problem just making my changes over USB.

Anyhow, now I have a newish toshiba laptop using 7. It has a serial port on it. Apparantly the new USB2 ports arent compatible,so now all G3's are shipped with a serial lead.

Am trying to download to the G3 over serial lead - PT#: CBLPROG 046115.

I set the options to COM1 and hit link send and I get a 2 windows that pop up 1 after another. The first one says 'checking device model',then the second one says 'error - no acknowledge from target device'.

I sort of walked in on this problem after some other guys. They were saying that the com1 transfer did work 'once' and it hasnt worked since. - This may not be correct though?

Any help or a guide with the driver selection settings etc would be good if anyone has had this problem before. I had a good look on the net and could only find a document that says connecting with the serial lead is ' trivial' - haha great!! If this has been covered in a thread before, I couldnt find it - please point it out :)

After deleting com1 in device manager and rebooting there is still no change. I dont have rslinx on this pc so I am thinking com1 should be free (hard to tell).

I also tried using a usb to serial adaptor with this new G3 serial lead without much success.

Tah :)

Just an update on this problem.

I can get a 2nd pc involved - an XP machine with USB cable hooked up to the G3 with the same program to download.

I do a link send of that program, and after a few seconds hit the abort button. The G3 is blacked out and displays ' updating database'

At this point I can use the windows 7 pc with com1 serial connection and do a link send with that and it works perfect.

So why cant i do consecutive serial win 7 downloads?

Anyone got a workaround?