ABB ACS355 eds file for DeviceNET

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am at home now, getting ready to go watch the game with my Dad, but I think my ACS355 drive with DeviceNET adapter is version 2.024 according to RSNetworx. I bought the drive from our distributor who keeps that 1HP model in stock, so the firmware is who-knows-how-old.

Yesterday, RSNetworx gave two warnings (paramaters ~114, 116 out of range, loading default value from eds) when I uplaoded the device parameters and I was able to successfully commission it. Several groups refused to display, so I had to figure out the parameter numbers in the book and then go edit them on the basic keypad (I should have bought one of the advanced keypads).

Today, I am not sure what eds I added but now I get two warnings for different parameters (like 226 and 228 or somewhere around those parameter numbers). This happens when I double click the drive in RSNetworx.

I think the eds file I registered is version 2.6

And, then I get an error of some sort.

I then unregistered (within RSNetworx) all traces of ABB drives, and then reinstalled the same ones I registered yesterday, but today...different results...
o_O
No way to edit paramters through RSNetworx...two warnings and an error...

I tried the ABB website for a list of eds files for various revisions of the VFD/Comm module, but did not find a way to locate them efficiently.

I will call them tomorrow if necessary, unless someone who knows ABB drives wants to pitch in.

I found the manuals hard to use, but I was able to set them up with the Basic Keypad for comms to work.

The drive seems to kick booty as far as performance though...I like being able to send motor RPM commands instead of some scaled version of Hertz. It ramped nice and smooth and could accel/decel much faster than the old drive it replaced. I like the assembly objects better too. Using the same size as the old one due to SLC programming time restraints, 21 and 71, the bits make more sense to me. The same I/O assemblies as the old drive are not offered in the manual I have, but I only had to remap the bits in use, and didn't have to scoot a bunch of other devices down the scanlist.

It displayed RPM actual and command nicely...no display on the old drive with the D-Net module in place, only 3 LEDs.

I am so glad I didn't break my eds settings until after I got the scanner downloaded yesterday...so nothing urgent ... yet ...

What would really be cool would be if there is some sweet ABB drive software that can connect to the devicenet using our Ethernet to DeviceNET linking device . . .

Last edited:
AFAIK the only ABB software for the ACS355 is DriveWindows Lite, which works through a serial port and plugs into the same port on the drive as is used by the drive's Keypad. I would suggest you invest in it rather than the advanced keypad. With the cable it's around $300.

Here are links to EDS files.
ABB links

Can't seem to copy the EDS search results, search EDS from here.

Last edited:
Yeah, not my favorite website to navigate...Russ, your link takes me to DriveWindows Lite. I did another few searches for the eds files but can only get the latest and greatest for my FDNA-01. The SW rev:0218 on the sticker on the device is not exactly what RSNetworx shows...The zip packages of eds files is version 2.6. The file I thought was the best match contained with and registered is "ACS355_FDNA01_appl2.18_Extended_Vector_filerev2.6.EDS" I just explored the Archive folder in that download and it has older revs (2.15) but no folder for the ACS355...

I know I know, I am complaining about details...whats a few digits and decimal points among engineers!?!?

VFD702_RSNetworx_Device_Identity.png

Last edited:
Back to square 2

Hmmm...

attachment.php

attachment.php

EDS params 000.jpg EDS params 001.jpg

Well, now I am thinking I may have been chasing a wild goose...but I am going to scour the actual EDS file I uploaded with the current symptoms (two warnings, still able to edit (singly, no downloadin!) some parameter groups in the property window of RSNetworx (~ver 9 or 10?).

Still can't see some of the basic parameters. It's as if the EDS Wizard is butchering the eds file...

The one I zipped and linked above does not match what I found when I used "View EDS file" in RSNetworx and made the screenshots from...I shoulda left it behind the speedbump but we have so many things going on at work, I never had the time to call ABB for help. The drive performed fine...it's a very simple application:a case separator belt, two belts with a chain driven ratio mismatch between them, 1/2hp, about 7 feet long.

Somehow, there must be another eds file with the same product code that I have not been unregistering. I wonder if in my trials I didn't create one and file to recognize its name? I got the wrong one in there...made a copy...RSNetworx identifies the drive as this other eds with an unknown name...

I registered the whole folder I downloaded from ABB the first time, then picked a different one that was even worse of a match, then tried to blow them away (unregister), and that is when I failed to shutdown RSLinx first. Today, I thought of doing that, blew away all ACS product eds files, loaded them all again, and now I am back to my self inflicted copy...

Yep, that's it, hypothesis #6B for Tuesday morning...then I will Tech Support.
Note to self: Unregister all eds files and start over...go for a coke and a smoke, and have the hypothesis tested before 8:30 am.

Last edited: