Siemens S5 Write protection ?

Jim.M

Hi, Im honored to work with this old masterpiece S5.. I wanted to download the program but ran into problems with write protection. I have checked the properties in S5 for Windows but cant se anything that can be changed. I have checked the checkboxes for write protection aswell.. Is there anything else to check?

//Jim

Which CPU part number?
Is there an EPROM installed?

Its a 115U 943 CPU.. There is an orange memory card plugged into it.. I have another S5 in the machine next to me but that has no memory card oluggen into it.. and its no problem to download to that cpu.

PS: Upload your existing program before attempting to remove the EPROM... current data block values will be lost if you don't.

Ahh I see.. Intressting!. I have an chipburner at home wich i use for my old cars lol.. I have a couple of SST 27SF256 EEPROMS.. I could try to read the program and the burn it to an EEPROM to be safe.. The program is quite big so i suspect that if i take out the eprom I will get trouble but i can try?

Thanks for helping me out with this old PLC :)

If you have a good battery installed in the power supply, I would do the following:

- upload the entire program
- power down
- remove the orange (E)EPROM module
- power on
- download the uploaded program back to the CPU
- download your modified blocks

The (E)EPROM is the orange module in the CPU, you cannot use any other types of (E)EPROMs, and you just use the USB Prommer from Siemens to read/write them (as far as I know).

Hmm.. im a bit divided right now..

I have found a type of PCMICA card with a S5 prommer attached on it.
I have a Siemens Step 7 PG with a PCMCIA port. Is it possible to use that?
Tried to install S5 fow windows on that computer but that program needs to be installed on winXP :( I tried to use VM ware but that causes the PG to crash lol...

So right now im a bit scared to just pull out the memory card and try to se if it works just to download the S5 program. I dont want to risk to stop the production for to long namley.. hmm..

The CPU is a 115U 943. Maybe if i know what memory capacity that CPU have i could se how big my program is and then it "should be safe" to download it..

This "PCMICA card with a S5 prommer attached on it" sounds like the S7 Memory card to S5 EPROM adapter. This is indeed used to program S5 EPROMs.

I don't think you can use a virtual machine if you want to connect to the internal prommer on the Siemens PG. I have an old version of S5 for Windows on Windows 7 in Virtual box... That may indicate your version may work on Windows 7. I have to get back to you as to whether 2 bytes = 1 statement, but I believe it is.

Yes, it is not a PCMCIA card. Not sure what will happen if you insert the adapter into a slot in a PC that is actually a PCMCIA card slot.

For example the PG720 came with both integral S5 memory module port, S7 MC cards slot, and PCMCIA slots !
Later PGs had/have different interfaces.

If you inform us the exact type no of the Siemens PG, we can check what is possible.

Update:

I took out the card from the PLC and tried to download the program to the CPU but the wasnt enough memory space without the card.. But i felt like the cpu had a "Very small" memory. Could just download a few FC´s

So i plugged in the memcard again. To get the PLC to read the card again i had to hold down the "Reset button" and flip the "Run" switch 3 times.. There was a few DBs that had to be downloaded from the PG aswell to get som recipies in..

Well, you mentioned you had a CPU 943 at the beginning, and now you say it's a 942B. The 943 CPU does have more internal memory than the 942.

The internal memory of a 942B is only 5120 statements , but you can plug in a memory module with a max. of 16384 statements.

The internal memory of a 943B is 24576 statements, and you can plug in a memory module with max. of 24576 statements.

So you can see, the 943 is capable of containing a program that fills the entire EPROM in internal memory, but the 942 is not.