TIA V13 adding new code, load error message

stayclashy80

Trying to add new logic using TIA V13 and when I try to download I get this message that I attached. This machine is running constantly. Will I have to stop the line just to add my logic change?

Thanks

TIA V13 load error message.png

Will I have to stop the line just to add my logic change?
Unfortunately, yes. Your changes modified a DB that must be reinitialized. That could mean you directly modified a Global DB, or modified an FB by adding parameters, which in turn modifies one or more Instance DBs.

Can you expand the "Software" on the second item and re-post the picture?

I do this all the time without stopping the CPU - you have to decide if the re-initialisation of the relevant data blocks will affect your process adversely.

Added new expanded view of error message with larger software column info. Also below is the new logic I'm trying to add. I created new TON %DB78 and new memory bit %M110.4. Is it asking me to reinitialize because I created new DB78? If I select option that says re-initialize will that cause all data in every DB to be lost for the entire program?

TIA V13 load error message 2.png

If you scroll down in the list of blocks that are to be loaded, you will find the DBs that will be loaded and thus reinitialized.

If it is only the new DB that you mentioned, then you can download without worry of overwriting the actual values of an existing DBs.

If the list has a DB that you do not expect to be downloaded, then you must investigate closer why it has been marked to be downloaded.

I looked all the way down the list and there are a lot of DB's on the list that don't have anything to do with my new rung of logic. Seems odd that this would be such a big deal just to add some code. My thought is to get operations to stop the line for a minute and then I will download my new program. I can't imagine it will be a major setback for op's to get line going again when I'm done. I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to do this since I leave in 1 hour and don't want to cause any problems right now. haha.

Ot

OT thought:

This statement ...

...I can't imagine it will be a major setback for op's to get line going again when I'm done.

... followed by this one, which should be at odds with the former ...

I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to do this since I leave in 1 hour and don't want to cause any problems right now. haha.

... is the kind of thinking one only gets after getting a lot of experience with, and being abused by, programmed CPU-based devices. Just because I can't imagine it will cause problems, doesn't mean I can safely assume it won't cause problems.

Engineering/technical work is so much more than the numbers, which are easy in comparison. Just sayin'.

Haha is right; well done.

There is also a chance the project that you modified does not have the most up-to-date code in the CPU.

Can you retrieve the original project you were given to a new directory, go online, and see if you get all green circles? Green circles mean your code is identical. Orange/blue means they're different, and a consistent download will want to make the all code blocks in the CPU the same as what's in the project file.

I would use the compare function before any download.

We sometimes have a problem where the block timestamps are different even though the code is not so it shows as not consistent but if there are any changes you will be able to see them.

Hopefully you have a backup from when the program was loaded the last time.
It is crucial to work with good backups. Definitely find the best backup you have and check that it is current. All must be green when you go online.

If your backup is not current, then do an offline/online compare and find out what the differences are. If they are just a few, you can investigate the differences and chose to copy them to the offline project. Save this under a new name (!).
If the offline/online differences are many, you may chose to upload the online project completely. Save it under a new name (!!).

With the latest modified project open in TIA, load the previous best backup (from above) as a reference project. Then do an offline/offline compare.
In the comparison result will be listed what differences have been found. Timestamp, comments, code, data, checksum.

If you say there are many DBs that are listed that you didnt expect to have been modified, then it is possible that some of the differences are merely because of timestamp or the checksum is different. It can happen if you edit and then change back to same as before. An experienced programmer knows what to avoid to not touch the DBs.

After reading all the comments I believe I have the wrong backup file. I did a comparison and pretty much the entire program was different. My upload button is greyed out right now. Looking into how to upload and/or find the correct backup file. My guess is its on the other automation technicians personal laptop. He is on vacation all week.

My personal method for version control is to create an archive of the project (menu function File -> Archive...) after changes have been made, with the date/time in the archive file name. TIA Portal has the option to append the date/time to the file name automatically (at least in V15.1).

My personal method for version control is to create an archive of the project (menu function File -> Archive...) after changes have been made, with the date/time in the archive file name. TIA Portal has the option to append the date/time to the file name automatically (at least in V15.1).
The TIA project itself should have a unique name each time you load a different program into the PLC. This for you to be able to load different versions and perform an offline/offline compare.

The backup and version control is especially important when you load a program into the PLC and then log off.
When you log on and start to make changes no matter how trivial, save the project under a new name.
As long as you are still online, you can make small changes and dont have to save the project under a new name. Before you log off, save and archive the project.
Store the archived project on a server.

In my opinion the guy that went on vacation without storing the latest PLC program on a server has made a serious error. It would have earned him a warning in our company.