IFix invert property

robertmee

Lifetime Supporting Member
Converting an iFix 5.0 HMI to Ignition, not developed by me. Been a long time since using iFix. On Digital Input tags, what does the property "Invert Output" on the Advanced tab do? Does it take a PLC value and invert its state in iFix? Such that PLC tag =0 then iFix tag =1. This was done on a number of tags that appear to be alarms only. Why wouldn't the previous developer have just inverted the Alarm Type property? Is there some advantage to using Invert Output? TIA.

Thanks for the link...I had read that description in another format, and the fact they call it OUTPUT invert is confusing on how it applies to DIs.

I don't have iFix to test now (good riddance), but I think that option needs to be read along with the "enable output" option.

The enable output, as far as I remember allows you to write to the iFix tag and it will then write over to the PLC tag (don't ask me why, I don't know) that is used to read the signal.

The tag itself in iFix wouldn't be inverted, it would match whatever value the PLC had.

I don't quite see how useful this can be in any application, but I'm sure someone else will chip in.

To invert the tag's value from the PLC value, I think you'd need to use signal conditioning, though I'm not sure it works on booleans.

By the way, good on your customer to get rid of iFix.