GE Fanuc - Convert analog to unit of measure

rabble2

Hi,

I have a small LCP8 Linear Potentiometer I use to send analog values to my 90/30 GE Fanuc. I know that an analog value of 0.01426671 equals 0.0102". I can use this to convert other analog values to inches but the values are never correct, is there a better way?

Sorry I should have been more clear. I have two of these sensors that touch off on a part, my PLC then takes the differece between the analog values. I can then measure the distance between the two surfaces. For example, an analog value of 0.01426671 equals 0.0102". Is there any way to convert the analog value to a unit of measure? thanks.

I suggest you read this thread:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=15069
Its kind of long and Ron has two groupings of posts and answers a lot of questions. Even though it was geared around a different PLC, the thread teaches the basics of you need to understand in order to scale an analog value. If you understand the principles of scaling an analog input then you can do it on any PLC.

Reading the referenced post

The "math" looks much like converting temperature from F to C.

A familiar analogy to be sure.

The details of each processor and overcoming restrictions with available components and logic seems much more of a task.

I am new to this, What Analog input module are you using?

I would appreciate seeing any fragments of your logic that would show elements and assignments of data to registers etc. I read the user guides, but real examples always help me more.

Edit to add context. I also have the 90/30plc as part of a process tool, and I would like to add analog functionality using the IC693ALG221E card

TIA

Cal

Last edited:
Protection in the case of GE 90/30

I suggest you read this thread:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=15069
Its kind of long and Ron has two groupings of posts and answers a lot of questions. Even though it was geared around a different PLC, the thread teaches the basics of you need to understand in order to scale an analog value. If you understand the principles of scaling an analog input then you can do it on any PLC.

In the referenced tutorial there are mentiones of the importance of protection from invalid (dangerous even) inputs

Is the "RANGE" instruction of the GE 90/30 program set the first choice to provide protection against undesired outputs?

I could see the Range instruction as the enabling gate for a math instruction on a following rung. Both instructions making use of the same %AI xxx value

Is it that simple? It's all new territory to me.

TIA

Cal

I ended up converting my "engineering units" to a ratio (x/32000), multiplying my ratio by 10v to find voltage. I know from the manufacturer that my pot moves 1.1mm for every volt therefore I'm able to calculate distance. thanks everyone for the help.