Monitor vibration

Holmux

Lifetime Supporting Member
Dear all

I am starting on my first task where I need to include monitoring vibration and have been calling around to different suppliers to get some guiding on where to start, the standard reply so far has been "please take a look in our catalog and tell us what you need" ???

Well that is my first problem, I have learned so much that I need to narrow down the (g) force and the Hz that I will be playing with, so is my first step to get a handheld tester and try to shoot on the range where i will be working ?

I have a feeling that i am very low in frequency, it is a large steel structure hanging down from the ceiling, whit some overhead conveyors, moving pigs and sows.

The position where I will have to measure will not be possible with a handheld unit, but I would probably get a good idea from measuring the surrounding structure, If I need to go and get myself a test unit, is there any one with some experience that could give me a hint?

On the sensors it self it looks to me like they are split into two different Technics Capacitive or Piezoresistive, not sure if there are more to pick from, but I am trying to learn the difference between the two pros/cons is there any guideline i need to follow?

Sorry this was a lot of questions with very short description, I hope someone will help pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance
Holmux

I've only monitored rotating machinery, not structures. You probably don't want capacitive - the measure the change in gap between themselves and the moving component, like the gap between a journal bearing and a shaft.

Piezoelectric seems like the best bet. Metrix is one company with a broad line of machinery monitoring.

You will need some idea of the displacement and frequency under consideration.

I suggest you try to find someone in earthquake monitoring. They may be able to give you some ideas.

or you could go low tech on it and buy 2 laser sensors that will return a distance, and monitor that over time and do some math to calculate a frequency and how much things are moving.
This obviously may not be the best solution but a fun alternative.

Thanks for the reply 🍻

I am trying to find a vibration data-logger with a wide measuring range, that I can mount for a day to see what is actually going on, they don't come cheap but I have a feeling it is a good investment.

The laser option actually crossed my mind a few times, but I am not sure I can find anything in the hole room not moving :)

So I think I am stock with good old gravity.

Another thing I have already learned is that most of the sensors are build to order, so delivery time is very long, but I will keep surging and keep you updated.

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply 🍻

I am trying to find a vibration data-logger with a wide measuring range, that I can mount for a day to see what is actually going on, they don't come cheap but I have a feeling it is a good investment.

The laser option actually crossed my mind a few times, but I am not sure I can find anything in the hole room not moving :)

So I think I am stock with good old gravity.

Another thing I have already learned is that most of the sensors are build to order, so delivery time is very long, but I will keep surging and keep you updated.

Thanks again

www.dewetron.com

They have everything you need. Probably dewe-43 and some Imi gravity sensors are best solution.

Last edited: