ControlLogix multiple implicit msg to one unit

spaderkung

Hi,

I branched a previos thread so this only deals with one subject.

The Rockwell Power Monitor 500 presents several instances for its data, unit info is in one, voltage in another and power in another. I must read several assembly instances to get all the readings I need.

I use Studio 5000, L71 rev 29. How should I set this up in the HW Config or how do i go about it?

Adding a generic Ethernet Module I already specify an IP + instance and then I can't add another one with the same IP but with a different choice of assembly instance.

Is it in general possible/recommended with a mixed implicit/explicit way? Example VFD to control drive a short data implicit instance but not using a larger and instead for parameter values a slower poll rate with explicit msg?

Last edited:
I don't have experience with the PowerMonitor 500, but I knew the network interfaces of its predecessors very well.

PowerMonitors have so much data available that you typically need to both run an I/O connection and do some messaging if you want the data in the controller. HMI and power management software don't typically require the data to stop off in the controller first.

As far as I know, the PowerMonitor, like most Adapter-class EtherNet/IP devices, only supports a single I/O connection assembly. Some devices are made to emulate a Logix chassis with multiple slots in order to make multiple cyclic connections, but that's uncommon.

Other PowerMonitors had a "User-Configurable Assembly" so that you could create an Assembly that had an assortment of parameters to suit your needs.

But the PowerMonitor 500 appears to be simpler, and you'll set up just one of those nine available Assemblies as a cyclic I/O connection, and send MSG instructions to read the rest.

Thanks Ken,

Btw, is the cyclic connection necessary or is it just a good way even if "not used" to see the communication partners in the tree? Since all connection data is set up with the MSG I assume with the msg-handling I write in code the partner is still found? Had it been a device with custom assemblies, or one big, then it would not be an issue and I would use the cyclic not MSG.

I don't think that the cyclic I/O connection is necessary to make the PowerMonitor 500 work. It doesn't even use any Output data, so there's nothing critical to control.

It is handy to have that object in the I/O tree, if for no other reasons than to easily detect its presence with a GSV (Module Object, EntryStatus) before sending a MSG command to it, and to have an object to point to as the target of the MSG commands in the CIP Path field.

If it were my system, I'd probably set it up to read the Alarm and Output Status with the cyclic connection at a 500 ms RPI, then send MSG instructions to read the rest.

The User Manual does include a nice example of how to configure a CIP Generic message to the device.

Gents.

Probably on the wrong thread, On a job where am using ControlLogix and would like to talk to a PowerMonitor II which I've just discovered in the MCC ,which has an 1403-NENET, this device seems to predate 1756, and am wondering if I can message it from 1756-L72?

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,

Turns out I'm still around, reading the same threads !

You are correct that the 1403-NENET interface for the PowerMonitor II predates the ControlLogix and the CIP protocol over Ethernet.

A PowerMonitor II can communicate with a PLC-5 or SLC-5/05 (or an RSLinx station) using the older A-B Client-Server Protocol (CSP), but not with a ControlLogix.

One solution might be to use an SLC-5/05 that's modern enough to have both CSP and CIP (ie one built in the past ten years or so) to bridge data between them.

Another possible solution would be a Red Lion Data Station Plus; these support both the CIP and CSP protocols and could serve effectively as a data bridge.

Thanks Ken

Removal of Slic (13 years old....) part of the job so would have to put it back just to talk to PMII, a pity, Will look into red lion but I fancy my bridging skills there would not be adequate.

Cheers