CompactLogix Firmware upgrade kills Output Modules.

timryder

My Friend is in Mexico working in an older machine, he calls me because after he did a Firmware upgrade of the processor from v20 to v24 his output modules in the rack stopped working. 1769-IW16 modules completely stopped working. There are no errors reported by the PLC, there is still Common power to these modules.

Reverting back to v20 didn't fix the issue. Deleting and re-adding the module to the project but that didn't work. Anyone have any thoughts? There are 4 IB16 modules then 4 IW16 relay output modules. The outputs aren't working but the inputs are.

Thanks.

So no triangles on the cards and when looking in the properties in the module while online, it says it’s connected and everything is hunky-dory?
No “I/O Not Responding” indicators?

Edit*
Going from v20 to v24 is also upgrading to Studio is it not?

Last edited:
I am the friend who is having the problem...
I would like to thank everyone in advance for any and all help on this matter!

Now...no there are no errors warnings or anything like that. When I check the properties of the modules it says running and that all is fine. It even errors in studio if I delete one of the modules because it is looking for it until I readd it.

This is a 1769-L33ER with 8 modules (4 inputs 1769-IQ16 and 4 output modules 1769-OW16) and a 1769-PS2 power supply to make up the bank. There are 2 input modules between the power supply and the processor. The rest of the mods are to the right of the power supply.

The input cards all work fine but the output cards seem to not be getting control power.

Is the system in Run mode? They way it sounds is the system is sitting in program mode. Is the program actually getting scanned and bits changing?

It is very odd that the software reports no errors but they are not working.

Does the program have aliases? Could the aliases have dropped out during firmware upgrade?
...just trying to cover the simple things