Studio 5000 Basic Programming Question

MudShark

Hello All,
I am learning how to convert RSLogix 500 programs to Studio 5000 programs and I have run into a problem that is quite basic. Whether I use the A&B program converter or build a program in Studio 5000 I can"t get it to operate the I/O. I have built the controller tags per A&B manuals but I don"t understand how my tags get associated with the I/O configuration. In other words how does my ladder logic tag end up attached to the module's configuration controller tag?
šŸ™ƒ

if you have added your modules in 5000 they will shop up in controller scoped tags as

for analog input
Local:#:I.CH#Data

for analog output
Local:#:O.CH#Data

Digital is:
Local:#:I.Data.#

First # is slot number of module second # is channel number of input on said module

also theses tags are created automatically when you add the module to your project

http://www.plcdev.com/an_introduction_to_rslogix5000_tags

Last edited:
I can see the controller tags in the folder but when I try to assign them to the ladder logic element they don't show the individual points tags available. I get Local:#:I.Data but not Local:#:I.Data.#.

Click to + next to Local:#:I.Data and see if that helps. I don't have the software on this computer to provide a screen shot.
This is assuming I'm understanding.
HTH
Bob O.

A screen shot would be help at this time of what you are seeing on your computer.
Oh and welcome to the forum and Go Huskers!
Bob O.

Depending on what screen you are on, if in ladder as you type it when you get to Local:#:I.Data an arrow should be there in a little grey box, I don't have the software in front of me but positive it is like that.

in the tag browser you should see something similar to this
http://www.plcdev.com/files/plcdev/images/RSEmulator 15 - Simulating.png

also are you sure you have the right type of module selected

I am not on the PC with the program on it right now so I am not able to send a screen shot. I apologize for not being too clear on what I'm asking so let me try it this way. I can see the I/O modules tags in the controller tags folder but they are greyed out. When I create a ladder logic element such as XIC, XIO or OTE and then double click on the (?) above the element I get a drop down arrow and it brings up a list of tags but it does not show the tags under the Local:#:I.Data tags.

Thanks to all of you for the help. I'll be getting back to the program and can see what I can find out. The 5000 program is very different from the old 500 and will take some getting used to.

see if this helps ...

One thing not mentioned, and not shown in the picture, is that the drop-down grid of "bits" will show already used bits by graying the "bit-box".

This doesn't stop you choosing an already-used bit, bit helps to prevent using an I/O bit more than once. This is almost certainly a "no-no" on the Logix5000 platforms with its asynchronous I/O.

MudShark, You might also like to consider using "Alias" tags for your I/O assignments, instead of your logic referring directly to the individual I/O points. Your logic will have tags like "Cycle_Start_PB", which conveys meaning, instead of Local:3:I.Data.6 - which has no immediate meaning at all, unless you have memorised all the I/O points ! Setting up the "alias" is simply done at the time you create the "Cycle_Start_PB" tag, by choosing "Alias" instead of "Base" as the tag type.

An alternative to aliasing, which some people prefer, is to use "mapping" subroutine(s), called just once at the start of the scan, which has simple -||- Local:3:I.Data.6 -( )- Cycle_Stop_PB rungs.

Mapping has the property, (some say advantageous), of converting the asynchronous nature of the I/O into Synchronous I/O.

Mapping also has the advantage that allows you to change an I/O point using online edits, simply by editing the relevant rung. Alias tags cannot be changed online.....