Point IO 1734-AENT

bill4807

Hi,

I am adding a 1734-AENT with (3) IB8, (1) 1734-FDM, (1) OB8. In my software I only have 1734-AENT/ A available.
The card I bought is series B. Do I need a AOP for this? I went to the download Center but don't see a selection for series B to download. Is it under another name.
Thanks in advance.

You should just be able to select version A and have it work. You just need to make sure that electronic keying is set up for "compatible module" and not "exact match".

I once had to replace a series A with a series B 1734-AENT module. I spent two hours beating my head against a wall trying to get the damn thing to communicate properly and lose the little yellow triangle on the ethernet tree, and like you, I thought it was because of the different series. I tried every way I could think of to get hold of an AOP or something to let me select a series B module, until finally I realised that I hadn't set the chassis size in the module. One giant face palm and one button click later, away we went with a series B quite happily pretending to be a series A. I've never since forgotten to set the chassis size :D

The 1734-AENT Series B does require an Add-On Profile for some older versions of RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000.

Start with the "Product Compatibility and Download Center":

https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/home.aspx

Type "1734-AENT" into the search field

The third result should be "AOP for 1734-AENT v6.01.10".

The next step is where you need to speak the ancient and beautiful language of the PCDC. You would think that the link labeled "AOP for 1734-AENT v6.01.10" would take you to the AOP for the 1734-AENT version 6.01.10.

Oh, no. It takes you to a set of links, which includes all AOPs as well as the firmware for the 1734-AENT Series B with version 5 firmware.

So click the "Select Files" on the line for the AOPs.

THEN, you can search for the correct AOP. It should be named "AOP for 1734-AENT v6.01.10". I use Control-F to find it.

THEN, you go through the authentication and log-in and download process. The resulting ZIP file contains a folder with all the AOP goodies and an executable "MPSETUP.exe" to start the install.

I know that Rockwell contracted out to HP to run this "download center", but I really feel like "you can eventually get what you need after four tries" is not a high enough bar.

Thank you ASF!
I will try this in the morning.
This same holds true for the IO cards as well? Since I have C and D series and those did not show up only C and A depending on the module..
I almost missed the chassis size as well!(haha) I tried to set that to 5 but am not sure if I have to count the 1734-FDM.

Hi Ken thanks for the great info!
I actually did see the V6.01.10 but did not try to download it because it didn't say series B. I am running V20.01 software.
Ok so once I download the ZIP and run the MPSETUP.exe it will automatically be set up in the RS5000? Or do I need to direct it to a specific folder?

I am not so familiar with the compatability center but am working on it!

Ken Roach said:
I know that Rockwell contracted out to HP to run this "download center"...

I did not know that. That explains so many things.

bill4807 said:
I tried to set that to 5 but am not sure if I have to count the 1734-FDM

What's the 1734-FDM? I've not heard of it, and a very quick google search turned up no real results, except this thread.

General rule of thumb - if you add the module to your I/O configuration, you need to count it. If not, you don't. You DO need to count your 1734-AENT as one module. So your chassis size will be either 5 or 6, depending on whether or not you have to count the FDM.

Ah, FPD. Yes, that's not counted as a module.

FYI, I've you're online and you've added all of your I/O to your hardware configuration, you can right-click on the AENT, select properties, and navigate the the "Chassis Size" tab on the far right. In there is a button that will set the chassis size in the module to match your hardware configuration, and then you don't even have to think about it :)