Somachine 4.2 changing an IP address

steve.goldson

Hi,

I am using SoMAchine 4.2 and I am trying to change the IP address in my M258 PLC.
I have tried changing it using "process communication settings", but it just resorts back to 0.0.0.0.
I have tried deleting the config file still no good.
I have even tried re-loading the firmware to the PLC via a USB stick with the IP address in I want.

HELP! Even Schneider seem at a loss why it is not working. I have reasonable PLC knowledge but mainly on Omron. I have very limited experience on schneider.

Thank you in advance

I saw it happening when I tried to insert a IP that was already been used in the network.

Also, you need to fill IP, mask and gateway (even if you´re not using, put 0.0.0.0 on gateway). If you don´t do it, the IP come back to 0.0.0.0

Same problem here. This Schneider page says to do exactly what tht OP and I have done, use the Process Communications Settings:
https://www.schneider-electric.us/en/faqs/FA246734/
Apparently there is a Post_Configuration loaded, that overwrites IP settings when the device boots.

Attached is a picture of the modern incarnation of Tarik's Ethernet Tab. It shows "Configured Parameters" and "Current Settings". The "Current" side shows the 0.0.0.0 address...

I'll add that this software is incredibly difficult to use and rather unpredictable...

-Jonathan

SoMachineIP.jpg

DHCP is not selected.

Btw, unlike OP's M258, my controller is an M241.

I'll interrogate Schneider tech. support on Monday and then report back.

-Jonathan

Post-configuration is an way to update a few specific settings on the PLC without having to reflash the entire application. I know it can be used to set ethernet and serial settings. It is stored in /usr/Cfg/Machine.cfg. Here is an example of the Machine.cfg text.

# TM258LF42DT / Ethernet / IPAddress
# Ethernet IP address
id[111].param[0] = [192, 168, 20, 51]

# TM258LF42DT / Ethernet / SubnetMask
# Ethernet IP mask
id[111].param[1] = [255, 255, 255, 0]

# TM258LF42DT / Ethernet / GatewayAddress
# Ethernet IP gateway address
id[111].param[2] = [192, 168, 20, 1]

# TM258LF42DT / Ethernet / IPConfigMode
# IP configuration mode: 0 : FIXED 1 : BOOTP 2 : DHCP
id[111].param[4] = 0

# TM258LF42DT / Ethernet / DeviceName
# Name of the device on the Ethernet network
id[111].param[5] = 'my_Device2'

To remove the post-configuration, you can write a quick script which includes only:

Delete "/usr/Cfg/Machine.cfg"
Reboot

Store this file on a thumb drive in the location %USB-Thumb-Drive-Root%/sys/Cmd/Script.cmd. Follow the typical process for updating the PLC from a USB thumb drive.

Last edited:
SOLVED, for me at least.

Post config files need to be considered, for sure. Thanks to GSNITZ for a way of removing them.

What I learned is this: When connecting to the PLC via USB, the controller's IP address is invisible to SoMachine software. In that case, SoMachine will show an active PLC address as 0.0.0.0., even when it is different.

I connected to my PLC via Ethernet and discovered that the IP address was exactly what I wanted.

Thanks to all,
Jonathan