RS 5000 Structured Text

olias

Just finished a project using a Contrologix platform. GMS did the code and the machine works great. However, after buying a new laptop to run RS5000 and the standard edition of 5000, much to the displeasure of my boss, I find that two of the files are Structured text files that I cant open. A call to tech support tells me I now need the Professional version to open these files. I'm leaving to install this machine shortly and I'd like to know I can change things if need be. Is there a way to view these files without spending anymore money? We are a small company and I've got a very tight boss.

Any helpfull hints other then I should have stayed away from Rockwell?

Olias

Tell your boss that you just saved him a bunch of money. GEICO joke optional.

RSI sells RSLogix 5000 in several different configurations to fit different budgets; Service is view-only and upload/download, Mini programs only the CompactLogix and FlexLogix controllers, Standard has only the ladder editor but will program all controllers, Full has all the languages, and Professional includes a slew of other software; the PIDE autotuner, RSNetworx, RSLinx Professional, and RSEmulate 5000.

Since the STX editor is the only feature of Full that you need, you can add it on "a la carte" to RSLogix 5000 Standard. Part number 9324-RLDSTXE will get you just the Structured Text Editor.

Unfortunately, as far as I know you're stuck. There is no ST viewer for Logix5000 that I know of.
You have three choices that I can see:
1) Trust that the code in the ST files will always work and do nothing.
2) Buy the Logix5000 Pro upgrade to get the ST editor
3) Have the company that wrote the code redo the ST files in ladder
and add them into the existing program OR
rewrite the ST files into ladder yourself and integrate them.

I don't mean to be a smart-a** here but try to treat this as a learning experience. I work for a custom equipment OEM and our customers often dictate the platforms we can use as well as the programming styles they are comfortable with. The two reasons for this are the customer knows what they have internal knowledge in AND what their internal infrastructure can support. In the future make sure you specify that you would prefer all coding be done in ladder as well as any other specifics that may apply to your case. I'm not trying ruffle feathers here. Alternale programming methods like ST and function block programming are powerful tools that can cut programming and commisioning time if the programmer feels comfortable with them. It's just human nature to use them unless told not to.

BTW, I don't want to start the old 'PLC Wars' here again, but Rockwell isn't the only company selling modular programming products. Siemens has more adders to Step7 than you can imagine, including ST and function block programming. While there may be some programming packages that provide all the IEC 1131 styles as standard it's not uncommon to piece them out and have you by them as adders either.

Keith

I realized that reading my own post that I wasn't clear: You don't need RSLogix 5000 Professional, or even RSLogix 5000 Full Edition.

You just need to add the STX editor to RSLogix 5000 Standard, which is a small fraction of the cost of buying all the languages or buying the full-bore Professional edition.

Thanks, but 9324-RLDSTXE lists at $700. We went the Contrologix route for the motion control, SERCOS, and customer request. Didn't expect to get raped on the software and support this badly. We generally use AB because of reliability. Seems Rockwell is now in it to make their money on software and support. Too bad, the AB stuff is rock solid.
I'll have to look into Siemans for the future.

Olias

..and I didn't even get a kiss

Sorry you feel that way, olias. High performance systems have high performance pricetags. You seem happy with the quality and performance. If you're running a SERCOS-based motion control system and hired GMS to help program it, I don't think you're selling automated bottle-washers.

I thought you'd be happier with a $700 pricetag for the STX editor than with the $2300 adder for the Professional package.

I don't see the issue the same way as you do, because software and support put food on my table. You can stick with your mindset that "software and service should be included with the hardware" if you want, but I can look at the hundreds of employees at RSI and tell you that they expect paychecks. They probably feel that way in Munich, too.

Olias...I've seen this story from both sides of the fence over many years. The reality is that high performance, well-supported and continually developing software is a product like any other and paying for it is scarely a case of being "raped".

The automation industry for many years either bundled for free the software with the hardware (or subsidised it heavily) was a weak business model. As time has passed the value content of a full complete automation system has shifted significantly from the hardware, to the firmware and software. The price of hardware alone continues to fall as a fraction of the "Total Cost of Ownership".

Any business model that still relies solely on the value of the hardware alone for its income, is therefore in the long run going to fail. Hence Rockwell made the decision some years ago to set up Rockwell Software as a division expected to succeed commercially as stand-alone business.

In all likelihood the cause of your ill feeling is that the cost of the SFC editor has come as an unwelcome surprise...ie someone either omitted to advise you of this potential cost at the outset, or you failed to fully appraise yourself of what was required. Unbudgeted expenses like this are a *******. I do understand how you feel as a result, especially as a small business with a tight cash flow....but blaming Rockwell for charging for it products isn't going to help.

Do you have any kind of decent relationship with a local Rockwell distributor? Oftentimes these guys are in a position to help ease the pain one way or another if they are approached a reasonable request. Otherwise Ken's advice is the right answer.

Last edited:
Wasn't STX included originally ?

I am not using RSLogix5000 or CLX, but am following whats happening with this platform with interest.

Not sure, but wasn't all the various programming styles (Ladder, FBD, STX etc.) included in the original RSLogix5000 package when it was released the first time ?
I remember it was the impression I got when an AB salesperson introduced the CLX, years ago.

What I am thinking: That Rockwell has changed its sales policy for the RSLogix5000 package, so that some of the options are now only part of the PRO version, not the BASIC version.

If the above is NOT the case, then maybe Olias had a PRO version and got an upgrade, but for a BASIC version only.

Can that SERVICE version view STX files ?

Last edited:
New features are added to the Logix family a couple of times per year, so it's hard to keep up if you're not a regular user.

RSLogix 5000 had only a ladder editor in the beginning, in 1998.

As function block, structured text , and sequential function charts were added to the firmware of various Logix-family controllers, editors were added to RSLogix 5000. First the FBD editor was offered as a solitary upgrade (I think that was V6), then the other editors as another upgrade that was called Full Edition.

More features = new price. That's all. No change to the marketing or strategy of the product.

There's a good matrix that explains the part numbers and features of each edition of the editing environment:

http://www.software.rockwell.com/support/download/detail.cfm?ID=2605

That's a very good question about what the Service Edition can view. I don't run that, obviously, but I'll find out and post.

Last edited:
Just to be thorough;

RSLogix 5000 "Service Edition" can upload, download, and view all languages (LD, FBD, STX, SFC) on all Logix-family controllers. You cannot edit any of the routines with this edition of the software.

If this SERVICE version had been available at that time, then maybe we wouldnt have switched from PLC5 to Siemens S7, but to CLX (in 2000 it was).

At that time CLX only means to load a new program, was to download from a full version of RSLogix.

We are a company who makes plant and machine OEM solutions for customers all over the world. The ability to send send an EPROM in the mail or the pocket of a service person is simply invaluable. It is not possible for us to purchase a full copy of RSLogix for all our service peoble or all of our customers.