any suggestions?

hd_coop

Lifetime Supporting Member
hey guys,
I am a controls-engineer coop student who is just starting out with some basic programming of slc 5/03's and panelview. i will be a sophomore this coming fall and have yet to take any classes that come close to pertaining to this field. i am starting to purchase some equipment of my own to play around with at home. I just bid on a micrologix 1000 PLC on ebay and plan on getting some random switches, lights, sensors (they are dirt cheap). eventually i would like to get a panelview (600 preferably). i would like suggestions on any equipment to buy that i haven't mentioned already and also some fun little projects i can do with this equipment. I have seen stuff about the 'traffic light' problem posted several times and have barely started on that one.....I dont really see what the big deal is with it, I dont think it will be hard at all.
thanks,
josh

(btw, if anybody has any old/outdated/unused equipment they could sell for cheap please email me at [email protected] :) )

hd_coop said:
i would like suggestions on any equipment to buy that i haven't mentioned already and also some fun little projects i can do with this equipment.

Dont forget Software.......You are talking Allen Bradley, so you it ain't gonna be cheap.

Dont forget Software.......You are talking Allen Bradley, so you it ain't gonna be cheap.

ya, i know. I was hoping to get my dad to help out some with that aspect of it, since he is on maintenance and is in the process of learning PLCs as well. I think it'd be a valuable investment on both of our parts.

Also... word to the wise, If your considering buying the software on EBay, make sure it includes the key too, because most of the ones I have seen dont. Other wise you have a shiny coaster in a fancy box!

Regards,

Steve

For beginners looking for an entry-level system to play with at home, go to:

http://www.ab.com/plclogic/micrologix/1000/accessories.html

and check out the entry for 1761-L16BWA-R1E. This small AB MicroLogix 1000 system might be just what you're looking for. Call your local AB distributor and ask about the price. Since the price may vary from distributor to distributor I won't post it here, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. (Hint: this kit which includes software, cable, processor, and simulator switches has a suggested price SIGNIFICANTLY LESS THAN the normal asking price of just the software alone). I've never seen this particular item mentioned on any of the forums before and I think that many beginners could benefit from knowing that this resource is out there.

Best regards.

thanks ron, I'll be checking that out soon.

I didnt plan on buying any software off of ebay, too risky for my blood. the rest of the stuff I feel comfortable with but if it dont work at least i got a paperweight.....i have no use for coasters.