ML1400 to Eaton PowerXL DG1 VFD

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone,
I am using a Micrologix 1400 and would like to communicate with a Eaton PowerXL DG1 VFD to pull the data registers for the speed, current and alarms. I am doing the speed control and start/stop via DO's and Analog outputs but would like to get more data to put on the HMI.

The manual says it has Ethernet/IP and Modbus TCP available. What is the easiest way to communicate with it over Ethernet? Modbus TCP or Ethernet/IP? I am thinking Modbus TCP but wanted to see if anyone has any other ideas.

Give me your thoughts.
Thanks!!

Modbus gets my vote.
Too many unknowns with EIP. Without looking at the manuals, I know ML1400 doesn't implement the full EIP standard. If Eaton only implemented (or only has experience using) the other half of the EIP protocol, you could potentially hit a brick wall.

Hi everyone,
I am using a Micrologix 1400 and would like to communicate with a Eaton PowerXL DG1 VFD to pull the data registers for the speed, current and alarms. I am doing the speed control and start/stop via DO's and Analog outputs but would like to get more data to put on the HMI.

The manual says it has Ethernet/IP and Modbus TCP available. What is the easiest way to communicate with it over Ethernet? Modbus TCP or Ethernet/IP? I am thinking Modbus TCP but wanted to see if anyone has any other ideas.

Give me your thoughts.
Thanks!!

I do modbus TCP from the 1400 to Schneider Process drives all the time, it's really easy to set up. I have only tried EIP to a danfoss drive once, and had no end of trouble. In the end i think we could read most parameters we needed but couldn't control the drive.

I'd go modbus myself.

Last edited: