S5 Connection Problem

pete66

Can anyone please help out with this problem ?! I have a new laptop, with which I am trying to communicate with my S5 100u set-up, CPU103. The problem is, I am unable to establish an on-line connection with the PLC.
I have the genuine RS232/TTY interface lead, which I know to be good - I have also proved all the other hardware and software (Step 5 Ver 7.2) individually elsewhere - so I know them to be good also.
The laptop is running XP Home Ed. SP2. but as there is no 9 pin serial port I have had to get a USB/RS232 bridge adaptor to connect the PLC to the laptop, via the Siemens lead.
I suspect the problem may lie with this lead configuration - although it works fine on GE Fanuc so I know the USB adaptor is simulating the serial port ok.
I have tried all three USB ports but none of them will hook up with the CPU - although they will generate different error messages! these being:-
"system message No 0334" and AS interface in PG not ready"
Thanks in anticipation if anyone can throw some light on my problem

It probably isn't simulating a serial port that well - I have used a USB dongle serial port with protool as there was absolutely no choice available , but it took hours to do . Almost certainly your dongle will present timing issues .

Currently we only use laptops with serial ports for Step 5. We tried to use USB converters in the past but failed to get them working at the time.

Try this

Dear pete66,

I'd the same problem, but one friend solved it. At least with our USB/RS232 if you set the address port to COM1 in Windows an to COM3 in STEP5. It should work with CPU, but doesn't works with CPs.

I hope this works.

Kelkoon

The problem is that the DOS program (Step 5) doesn't play friendly with the USB drivers. If you plan to use the S5 for awhile yet, you can check out our 32 Bit Windows application that upgrades you from Step 5. It supports your existing files and documentation, and it is tested in all Windows operating systems, and is also tested to work with the USB port being your serial connection with the RS232/TTY. Feel free to email me for more info.
[email protected]
www.fast-soft.com

Usually Laptop Modem uses COM1 port, so configure USB/RS232C to COM2 (not COM3). It worked with ComText (dos-application for oldest OP-panels). I haven't tested with Step5 rev 7.20 yet, but that day will coming soon.. I have HP-laptop/Win2000 pro/SP4.

I already tried altering the com designation in both 'device manager' on my laptop, and under project settings in S5 - I tried every available permutation of com 1 - com 4 on both but still no joy. I have also tried all different flow control settings - Xon/Xoff, hardware etc, and different baud rates but still drawn a blank - beginning to wish I bought a pc with a proper RS port now!!

Pete,

I used the PCMCIA as COM2 without any problems as I recall ... although of course my setup differed: S5 V7.17/W2K/Compaq EVO N800C

Have a look at some of these FAQs...they might give you some ideas:

http://support.automation.siemens.com

Then enter these 'Entry IDs' in the search box in the top right hand corner:

Alas, I have tried all the suggestions and scoured the Siemens Q&A but I still cannot get on-line - can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong???

did you used your 232/tty converter on a siemens before ? i have a usb / rs232 but i use it with the siemens cable for tty ... and it works .