Factory Talk View SE can't delete project

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an issue with a "known issue" with Rockwell Factory Talk View S.E. (local/standalone) runtime station.

I am unable to DELETE a project using the Application Manager (or, as some have called it 'Application Mangler'. (When I do, it says that the application is still in use.)

Apparently, I am not the first to have this problem, and it is documented in Note #66966 on Rockwell Automation Support Center.

Its not a bug, its a normal occurance, because I have chosen to use Factory Talk Alarms and Events in my application.

The fix, however, is onerous to implement. I have to disable all Rockwell.... services, reboot, delete files, reboot again, and then I can restore the project. It works (mostly), but, as you can imagine, it burns quite a bit of time, and requires a number of steps, to get the application from the developement machine to the runtime machine.

Does anybody else have any better ideas?

What version of view are you running? It makes a difference.

Most people have rsview in the startup folder or have a startup batch file. Once it starts there are a lot of services to disable and they are not all named rockwell.

AFAIK there is no fix for this it really is still inuse at least the server end is. You stopping the application is just killing the client not the server service.

I just take view out of the startup routine,reboot,do my thing,then put it back.

I think thats the most people do it. Works without issue AFAIK.

it would be nice to have a shutdown that kills all services also but AFAIK it just ain't wired that way.

One of the many drawbacks of view.

This is on later SE versions, a SE services manager. You can turn off the SE services. This may allow you to use the application manager to delete the application.

Its version 6.00, including roll up patches from earlier this year.

I'm on a startup, so I haven't even gotten to the 'put stuff in the startup folder' step yet.

Thanks for the thoughts.

And, I'll check for 'SE Services'

If it is not autostarting then a reboot should allow you to delete it. If you try to fire up FT at all after the reboot though those services will start. Some of them have names that have nothing to do with FT or rockwell in their naming.

Thats the part that makes it tricky

Thanks for posting the original Thread.

I had this problem recently as well. Using SE Local I added some alarms for my client.

Then what happened I couldnt delete or rename the projects as part of my development/commissioning.

Had to make a version_2 and download that to my site edition station 250 page license - had to make a new .cli and a page maximising shortcut in the startup.

I went looking for 66966 but it no longer exists. Its replacement is 450763. 450763 does not show how to delete the files. Had to ring tech support and get the old 66966 emailed to me to get the procedure. here is that procedure for future reference. Works great,

---------------------------
1. Disable all services that begin with Rockwell, and RSLinx Enterprise
2. Reboot
3. Manually delete the following project files:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Rockwell\RNAServer\Local\<project name>.RnaD
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Rockwell\RNAServer\Local\RNAStore\<project name>
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\RSView Enterprise\SE\HMI Projects<HMI server name>
4. Restore all services that begin with Rockwell and RSLinx Enterprise to their original startup types.
5. Reboot

This client wont be having alarms now.

This is too much **** to go thru for the development guy unfortunately Rockwell...:nodi::nodi:

I forgot about this thread. OK, back from the startup (phew).
Actually, all that "services" stuff gave me a headache.
So, I concocted my own step-by-step method, and wrote it all down, and it worked every single time. It involves lots of rebooting, but it always works.
I'll grab my notes next time in the office, and post the work around.

In most cases if you just remove SE from startup then reboot that cures the problem.

Take all SE functions out of startup including client files.cli then reboot.

In most cases if you just remove SE from startup then reboot that cures the problem.

Take all SE functions out of startup including client files.cli then reboot.

That won't work if you have the server configured to run when the system starts.
Ditto for Linx and Linx Enterprise, if they run as services, they aren't in 'startup'.

Here's my workaround

I forgot about this thread. OK, back from the startup (phew).
Actually, all that "services" stuff gave me a headache.
So, I concocted my own step-by-step method, and wrote it all down, and it worked every single time. It involves lots of rebooting, but it always works.
I'll grab my notes next time in the office, and post the work around.

OK, this actually works.
Assumptions:
No "AutoRun SE project"
New project is on the PC, as a 'backup' from the developement system.

1.) Shutdown the PC, and restart normally.
2.) Run Application Manager, and rename the existing project to "oldRenamedProject"
3.) Run Application Manager, and restore the backup file, naming it the original project name.
4.) Start Factory Talk View SE Studio (FTVSES), opening the project just restored.
5.) Check and verify all connections (RSLinx Enterprise).
6.) Close Application
7.) Exit FTVSES.
8.) Power down, and then power UP PC.
9.) Run project!

That won't work if you have the server configured to run when the system starts.
Ditto for Linx and Linx Enterprise, if they run as services, they aren't in 'startup'.

I meant anyting that starts up in a automatic fashion not the startup folder literally.

I should have clarified.

I dont care if this post was from the past. I want to post my solution now for everyone.

Problem is FactoryTalk Alarms & Events service.

I stopped it in FTView Studio (development environment):

FactoryTalk Alarms & Event Server has a setting for when to run (this is a service).
Select the option that says:
"When first client connects (Redundancy will be disabled)"

This setting is only accessible from within the FactoryTalk View Studio Development environment. This is only if you have FactoryTalk Alarms & Events as a server under your main project name. The Alarm & Event server will have a red bell if you are using this feature. It may be towards the bottom of the left-hand pane in FTView Studio (even below the Displays).
It seems this database server for Alarms & Events can cause the service to load preventing you from being able to delete the project with Application Manager.

Maybe somebody can figure out the name of this service and we can just stop this service. I deleted the Alarm & Event server form my project because I was using alarms from the tag database *by selecting the alarm checkbox for each tag that would be used for alarms. This alarm type does not allow rockwell's language conversion.

Thanks

concerning my above post.

This applies to people who have the specific Alarm & Event server that I mention.

This does not cover all problems with being able to delete the project. I have had multiple instances of this from various causes.

Sometimes a clean harddrive reinstall of everything works best. The procedures from AB are missing steps like important restarts so make sure you talk to someone from Allen-Bradley who know what they are talking about if you end up going that route.