Incremental encoder signal duplication

SDC22

I am looking to duplicate a quadrature encoder signal where the original supplies a VFD and the duplicate goes to a PLC. I have had success using a signal repeater in the past. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to simply parallel wire the signal inputs?

The encoder has a current limit. Adding a parallel device increases the required current. You could be OK as long as the current draw does not exceed the rating of the encoder. Add up the current draw for the PLC input and the VFD input and compare to the capacity of the encoder.

There's also the added capacitance that can cause havoc on encoder signals, whilst a repeater will (generally) reconstruct the signal to make it square again before outputing.

Are the VFD and PLC input circuits even the same type (Single-ended, push-pull, differential) ?

Are both the VFD and PLC input circuits isolated from the rest of the controller, so you can connect together the DC Commons without causing interference between all the other I/O circuits ?

Unless the answer to both of those is "yes", I would recommend sticking with the isolator/repeaters that work for you.