Analog scaling from 0-5v to 0-5,000litres?

IdealDan

Good Day Friends !

I'm scaling 0-5volt signal from an ultrasonic level sensor to 0-5,000 litres for two Cylindrical Tanks. (one is Horizontal and the other is vertical)
using a CO-12DD1E-D CLICK Ethernet Analog PLC (Built-in AD). For a Vertical Height of 8ft,1in and Diameter of 5ft,5in, How can I scale 0-5v to 0-5,000litres?
Then for the Horizontal Tank, how is the height measured?

Thanks in advance

From the dimensions you have given, the tank volume is 5275 liters, assuming that you provided the inside dimensions of the tank. 5000 liters would mean that the vertical tank was filled to about seven feet, eight inches.
For the horizontal tank, the best bet would be to create a lookup table where you have several levels for which you know the correct volume and for levels between those points you interpolate. The reason is that the exact solution for a horizontal cylindrical tank requires the inverse tangent function which your PLC may not have.

From the dimensions you have given, the tank volume is 5275 liters, assuming that you provided the inside dimensions of the tank. 5000 liters would mean that the vertical tank was filled to about seven feet, eight inches.
For the horizontal tank, the best bet would be to create a lookup table where you have several levels for which you know the correct volume and for levels between those points you interpolate. The reason is that the exact solution for a horizontal cylindrical tank requires the inverse tangent function which your PLC may not have.
Thanks for the response.
Is it possible to calculate the inverse tangent function with a calculator and then program the value as constant along side? If YES, could you please provide me with more information about the formula for the Horizontal Tank and also formulas you used for the volume calculation for vertical tank

Last edited:
For a PLC like Control logix, will I key in this formular into a CPT Instruction?
L and R are the dimensions you provided. h is the value you measure with your sensor. Be sure to maintain a consistent set of units. You provided English units for the tank diameter and length/height, but metric units for volume.

L and R are the dimensions you provided. h is the value you measure with your sensor. Be sure to maintain a consistent set of units. You provided English units for the tank diameter and length/height, but metric units for volume.
Yes you are correct bro.

1. But is that the formular?
2. Does this formular take care of the elispse part of the Horizontal cylindrical Tank?
3. In this case, with the above dimensions and 0-5v signal, what will be my scaled min and scaled max?

Thanks in advance

Yes you are correct bro.

1. But is that the formular?
2. Does this formular take care of the elispse part of the Horizontal cylindrical Tank?
3. In this case, with the above dimensions and 0-5v signal, what will be my scaled min and scaled max?

Thanks in advance
1. Yes
2. No
3. What distance does 0-5V equate to? From the top och from the bottom?

Here's another approach to your problem. Tom Jenkin's excellent excel spreadsheet:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=757514&postcount=5

Last edited:
1. Yes
2. No
3. What distance does 0-5V equate to? From the top och from the bottom?

Here's another approach to your problem. Tom Jenkin's excellent excel spreadsheet:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=757514&postcount=5
Thanks for your help.

The sensor's range is 0-5v for 0-2m maximum level, Diameter as 1.5m
Please what will be my SCALED MIN and SCALED MAX?

2. If the formular does not consider the elipse side, will the volume still be acurate?

Thanks for your help.

The sensor's range is 0-5v for 0-2m maximum level, Diameter as 1.5m
Please what will be my SCALED MIN and SCALED MAX?

2. If the formular does not consider the elipse side, will the volume still be acurate?

0-5V = 0-2m distance (from sensor) gives you a level of -0,5-1,5m (tank level, if diameter is 1,5 and full tank will give a reading of 0m from sensor).
Then if you want to have volume, you need to calculate that with given formulas.

2. Depends what accuracy you need? There will always be inaccuracies, you have to decide what you can live with.

Last edited: