Proface HMI to AB PLC

Scott01

Hello,
i am attempting to use an HMI for a softener project at work. are there any special changes to the PLC program necessary beforehand that i need to be aware of?
(Proface ST401 to Micrologix 1000)

Hello,
i am attempting to use an HMI for a softener project at work. are there any special changes to the PLC program necessary beforehand that i need to be aware of?
(Proface ST401 to Micrologix 1000)

You will have to a little more specific about what you mean by Special Changes.

What I would suggest is that you set up the Proface HMI so it Writes to its own Bit(B) or Integer (N) File. So that it is obvious that something is being Controlled by the HMI.

The same goes for Data the HMI Reads as much as possible. This will make your Read/Write Communications as efficient as possible.

Stu....

Stu,
By "special changes" I guess I mean any changes to the program or settings to "alert" the PLC of an HMI. BTW I am probably at the
Sub-Novice level when it comes to the HMI to PLC world. So naturally i am a little confused when you said "set up the Proface HMI so it Writes to its own Bit(B) or Integer (N) File. So that it is obvious that something is being Controlled by the HMI."

Stu,
By "special changes" I guess I mean any changes to the program or settings to "alert" the PLC of an HMI. BTW I am probably at the
Sub-Novice level when it comes to the HMI to PLC world. So naturally i am a little confused when you said "set up the Proface HMI so it Writes to its own Bit(B) or Integer (N) File. So that it is obvious that something is being Controlled by the HMI."

Ok, no problem, we will take it one step at a time.

HMIs Read and Write Asynchronously to/from the PLC over a Communications Link. This is independent of the PLC Program Scan, however, depending on the PLC, how it handles Servicing the HMI Communications Requests vary. The MicroLogix 1000 is a lower end PLC, so it probably only has one Processor doing everything, and will handle the Communications during what is referred to as the Housekeeping Phase.

Traditional PLCs generally have a circular Cycle that repeats continuously.

1)Read the Inputs
2)Solve PLC Program Code
3)Update the Outputs
4)Housekeeping

Do a Google Search for more information on this Cycle.

The Reading from and Writing to the PLC Data Tables happens independently of the PLC Program. No PLC Code is required to support it, other than making sure the Data you want it to Read is in the right place. If you don't do anything, the HMI will simply Read what is in the Data Table, be it right or wrong.

Getting to the Bit and Integer Files. AB PLCs allow you to create your own Data Tables. This is only limited by the Free Memory available.

So, you could create an N:10 File, and have your Proface HMI do all its Reading and Writing to those N10 File Locations. i.e. Read from N10:0 to N10:49, Write to N10:50 to N10:99. Unlike some PLC Brands, AB allows you to access the Integer Files to the Bit Level. i.e. N10:0/0

I hope that helps clear it up some. Continue Reading and Researching, and by all mean feel free to ask question here.

Stu....

Stu,

thank you very much that is very helpful. i will continue to research and read and will ask questions......a lot of questions lol. i do have a few resources at work but there isn't a lot of time there to learn. thanks again.

Scott

No problem Scott.

A good resource is the AB/RA Literature Library.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webassets/browse_category.hcst

Either Browse to Programmable Controllers --> MicroLogix 1000 System, or do a Search with the ML1000 Catalog Number.

Proface:

http://www.pro-face.com/

ST Manuals:

http://www.pro-face.com/otasuke/qa/gp/2000_st_manual.html

Searching this Forum for similar Posts. All the MicroLogix and SLC PLCs are similar in their Instructions and Structure. Of course Google is Always your friend.

Stu....