how to connect to a plc using ethernet/ip connection?

vlad.rja

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and I am not very good at PLC's, but... I need to connect SLC 5/05 to my laptop using the Ethernet IP connection. I've been told to connect it through a crossover cable directly into the NIC, but I am not sure if you can actually do it this way without any routers or switches cotrolling the traffic. By the way, I am using RSLinx and RSLogix to connect and to work with the PLC, respectively. Every time I do that, Windows says that the connection has limited or no connectivity, and RSLogix says that it can not get any response from the device, although it seems like the Driver in RSLynx is working properly.
Here is the full name of my network card: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller.
So, has anyone here been stock on a similar problem? And what was the solution to it?
Thank you in advance.

If you use a crossover cable, you don't need any hardware between the PC and PLC. Your problem may be that your network card is set for dynamic addressing (DHCP). You need to go into the properties of the network connection and set a static IP address on the same subnet as the PLC's IP.

Vlad, it sounds like the network card on your laptop is set for DHCP mode, i.e. "Obtain an IP address automatically". Before you attempt any communications, you would have to set it for a fixed IP address first.

The IP address you set it to must match the IP address on the CPU, so you would have to find it out first. If your CPU's IP address is, say, 192.168.1.1, set your network card to 192.168.1.200 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 or something like that.

Once you do all that, you should be able to ping CPU's IP adderess from your laptop. If you don't have a crossover Ethernet cable for the direct connection, a small cheap network switch would do just fine.

Edit: Kolyur beat me to a minute.

You should use the Ethernet driver in RSLinx and configure both IP addresses. They must be in the same subnet. A cross over cable should work fine.

Hello everyone,
I need to connect SLC 5/05 to my laptop using the Ethernet IP connection.

It is very simple and easy to connect.. Made one Cross-Over Cable and directly connect it to the SLC from your Notebook. There is no need of any other hardware...

First thing is that you will have to locate the IP address of the SLC.. Without it you will not be able to do anything... You can locate it with the help of the software named- "Wireshark". It will show the unknown IP address of the device via ARP (Address Resolution Protocol). You can download this software from www.wireshark.org/download.html

If your SLC has gone into the default mode means its IP is 0.0.0.0 then you will have to assign a new IP to the SLC and it can be done with the help of the Bootp DHCP program provided by the AB.. You can download it with the following link... www.ab.com/networks/bootp.html

After locating the IP address of the SLC, go to RSLinx and select Communication > Configure Driver > (In drop down box) Ethernet Devices > then press Add New (Use Default Name as AB_Eth1) > write down the IP address of the plc in row named "0" > Press OK.
Then check in Communication > RSWho > AB_Eth1 Driver > Your Icon of SLC.
If there is an Icon of the SLC in RSWho then the communication is successful and you can check it by pinging the device also..

Last edited:
Just and FYI, the slc 505, at least the newer ones, seem to be auto switching for cross over. So, you dont need a cross over cable, just a patch cable.

matt

PLC communication issue

Hey, guys I am trying to connect my Schneider Plc with my raspberry pi. I am trying to read data from the plc using node-red via modbus node but i am getting an error "FSM reset on STATE queuing" and the modbus node shows"timeout" after being active for 3 seconds,which is my polling time. Any idea what am i doing wrong?