kandymann

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all

Software:
Factory Talk View Studio ME V6.10
RSLogix 5000

Hardware:
Laptop PC running Windows 7
1769-L32E Compact Logix Proccessor (Ethernet)
1769-IA16
1769-OW16

This is my first time using FT View Studio and I am testing an application for a simple start/stop of a motor. Basically I am just trying to familiarize myself with HMI software as I will have a real life application starting up very soon. I have a PLC Trainer using a 1769-L32E controller with 16 point input and output cards.

Here is what I have done...
1. I created a new application in FT View Studio.
2. I created a display with a start and stop PB icos. I am using a pilot light and an idicator that my motor is ON. (I also referenced the program tags with the HMI tags)
3. I configured communications by going to "communications setup" under the RSLinx Enterprise icon and began setting up what I thought was the correct drivers.

Whenever I try to test my application by running the FT View ME Station and I push START with my mouse, nothing happens. (I am running the run time file on my PC)

I downloaded the RSLogix 5000 program to the proccessor first and tried to test the application and no cigar.

So I figure I have either configured the drivers wrong or maybe I have not refrenced my tags correctly.
I have read the PDF file for the FT View Studio software and watched the videos and still no help to me.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
The biggest question is "what ControlLogix tags are your start and stop buttons connected to" ?

What type of Pushbutton object are you using (momentary, maintained, latched, etc) ?

For each pushbutton object, in the Connections tab, you need to browse for (or manually enter) the Shortcut and the Tag Name for the tag you want to command and display.

Kandymann,

Just a quick check. Did you copy your shortcuts from design to runtime. On you RS Linx communications tab it is in the top right.

If you have done that, if you can post your files, (zip them first) we can take a look for you.

Mark

The biggest question is "what ControlLogix tags are your start and stop buttons connected to" ?

What type of Pushbutton object are you using (momentary, maintained, latched, etc) ?

For each pushbutton object, in the Connections tab, you need to browse for (or manually enter) the Shortcut and the Tag Name for the tag you want to command and display.

The tags are program tags (uploaded from the controller)
They are momentary PBs

In the connections tab for the momentary PBs, I see two places for tags to reside. Under "Name" - Indicator and Value. I used the tag browser and placed the same tag in both spots.

Kandymann,

Just a quick check. Did you copy your shortcuts from design to runtime. On you RS Linx communications tab it is in the top right.

If you have done that, if you can post your files, (zip them first) we can take a look for you.

Mark

I just tried to upload the zip file
BUT
It says my file is too large

Kandymann,

Value

A write connection. Assign a tag to this connection. The application writes the value corresponding to the current state (pressed or released) to the tag's data source.

Indicator

A read connection. You can assign a tag or an expression to this connection. The application reads the value of the connection at the data source, and updates the object’s display to reflect the state corresponding to the value.

If you are using a momentary push button this will only be true in the PLC for a very short time. Are you latching anything when the button is pressed?

Mark

Kandymann,

Value

A write connection. Assign a tag to this connection. The application writes the value corresponding to the current state (pressed or released) to the tag's data source.

Indicator

A read connection. You can assign a tag or an expression to this connection. The application reads the value of the connection at the data source, and updates the object’s display to reflect the state corresponding to the value.

If you are using a momentary push button this will only be true in the PLC for a very short time. Are you latching anything when the button is pressed?

Mark

Thanks Mark for the clarification

I am not latching anything

Kandymann,

Take a look at the following logic which you have sent to me.

You are on the right lines but think about how your stop button is working.

How would you hard wire a start/stop lock in circuit? Would you use a normally open or a normally closed contact for your stop button?

Mark

Lock In Logic.jpg

Kandymann,

Take a look at the following logic which you have sent to me.

You are on the right lines but think about how your stop button is working.

How would you hard wire a start/stop lock in circuit? Would you use a normally open or a normally closed contact for your stop button?

Mark

Obviously NC

Here's the thing I am learning I guess. Is it correct to use Program tags for HMI control such as a PB to start and stop a motor? I figured that I would have to a start and stop in FT View Studio like real devices. For a field stop button I would use XIC and for a HMI stop it would be a XIO instruction?

See what you make of these 2 files. I have used emulate where your processor would be, but you should get the idea.

If you can post the APA file it might help.

Mark

See what you make of these 2 files. I have used emulate where your processor would be, but you should get the idea.

If you can post the APA file it might help.

Mark

I opened the ACD file but I was unable to open the APA file.

It's a legacy file and I am unable to open it