Automation using PLC

There's any number of power meters out there, most of them will communicate through modbus, or you'll be able to get an add-on modbus manual, schneider have a nice product (PM5100) that communicates back to a central system (enerlinx or comx), and goes out from there as tcp/ip back to a computer that could be used for reporting. They're probably a bit more on the expensive end though.
There's also wireless options for Power meters that might suit.

Satec and CET both make multi-tenant meters that might get you part way to your goal. IME's NEMO Sx may also be an option.

Another alternative is to install multiple meters with Modbus comms and collect the data using a Redlion HMI. Depending on the model chosen, this would give you datalogging, webserver and comms to other PLCs.

Is the end goal to reduce energy usage by modifying behaviour using the collected data, or by directly turning off unused equipment?

I've been down both paths, the end result is that often it's more effective to put the money towards more efficient equipment.

Hi All,

I am looking to automate an office which has got three different levels. Mostly, there are power points at every level (lights are connected via power points only), and I want to monitor and control the power consumption of every power socket. I also want this to be done remotely, maybe via server, which can be accessed only by authorised personnel.

How can this be done? I guess I will require wireless communication between by power sockets and the PLC, but I am just finding it hard to start off from some point. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

What control do you want to do ?

Ignoring the control part I don't see the need for a PLC to be involved with this sort of application at all there is many many options for this most, we use Schneider for most metering, if its DB's you are metering then you could use powertag:

https://www.schneider-electric.com/en/work/products/product-launch/powertag/

Or as somebody has already mentioned the PM5110, or the basic entry range of the iEM meters

All of these can be connected to a ComX 510, basically an EMS in a box:

https://blog.schneider-electric.com...omx-510-inclusive-energy-management-solution/

Wago have power measurement terminals as io.

What control do you want to do ?

Ignoring the control part I don't see the need for a PLC to be involved with this sort of application at all there is many many options for this most, we use Schneider for most metering, if its DB's you are metering then you could use powertag:

https://www.schneider-electric.com/en/work/products/product-launch/powertag/

Or as somebody has already mentioned the PM5110, or the basic entry range of the iEM meters

All of these can be connected to a ComX 510, basically an EMS in a box:

https://blog.schneider-electric.com...omx-510-inclusive-energy-management-solution/

I actually have to control and monitor every GPO, this is what my boss wants, so I have to do this. Thanks a ton for the info, I will look into it now

I actually have to control and monitor every GPO, this is what my boss wants, so I have to do this. Thanks a ton for the info, I will look into it now

He may change his mind when he sees the cost involved. get the figures for a couple of different methods and put them to him.
I'd like to be in that room....

He may change his mind when he sees the cost involved. get the figures for a couple of different methods and put them to him.
I'd like to be in that room....

Well, there is some change of plans..I ma just use the already existing Qubino modules, although I don't consider them to be reliable. Will keep you guys updated. Again, thank you everyone for the massive support.

Mentioning that you already had zwave relays with current monitors on the outlets may have been useful information to disclose initially.

I wanted, in fact still want a reliable system, and I don't trust the Z wave devices so much. The current system, which was developed by the engineer working here previously, is not running properly, its quite a complex task now to solve the puzzle.

Wago have power measurement terminals as io.

Any experience of using them?

I have used them and in my experience they are excellent, with plenty of data being gathered by the modules themselves so this does not interfere with the main PLC processor. Not only active and apparent power, also cosinus phi, harmonics analysis etcetera. Quality comes at a price though: these modules are not cheap. I have used them for 400A 3-phase connections in an industrial environment. It makes no sense buying this to monitor individual office outlets.

Have you looked into power line communication? It may be a way forward to have a more reliable system.

I have used them and in my experience they are excellent, with plenty of data being gathered by the modules themselves so this does not interfere with the main PLC processor. Not only active and apparent power, also cosinus phi, harmonics analysis etcetera. Quality comes at a price though: these modules are not cheap. I have used them for 400A 3-phase connections in an industrial environment. It makes no sense buying this to monitor individual office outlets.

That is true..the cost for about 100 outlets will touch the sky, with no major benefits..