Simatic net re-configuration/s7-400

IdealDan

Hi Friends,

I'm trying to set up/configure a Simatic Net on an already existing project that uses TCP/IP Connection.

I formatted the PC-Based HMI due to corruption on its windowsn7 pro.

MY QUESTIONS PLEASE:

1. How do I configure simatic net so as to get process data from the already running S7-400 PLC?

2. Does it require XDB File import? (Though I could not see this file)
3. I tried uploading program from the S7-400 via Ethernet with Simatic NCM Manager as there is no available Program back up. I set IP of the PC to be on same network with PLC yet accessible node does not show connection, WHAT COULD BE WRONG PLEASE?
4. CP441-1 has RED LED Fault 1 ON, when it goes off PLC's EXT fault RED LED Turns ON.

PLEASE I NEED HELP. Please let me know If you need more information.

Thanks in advance.

1. Create and configure a PC Station in Simatic Manager (if STEP 7 is installed) or NCM PC Manager (if STEP 7 is not installed).

https://w3.siemens.com/mcms/industrial-communication/en/support/ik-info/Documents/mn_ncm_pc-76.pdf

2. No. If you recreate the PC Station correctly, you "download" your configuration via PC (internal) in Set PG/PC Interface. You use the Station Configuration Editor to add your computer's "modules" (ex: Application or OPC Server, Ethernet)

3. You cannot use NCM PC Manager to upload a PLC, you have to have SIMATIC Manager (main component of STEP 7).

4. You have to look at the diagnostic buffer using SIMATIC Manager/STEP 7 to see the issue with faults.

1. Create and configure a PC Station in Simatic Manager (if STEP 7 is installed) or NCM PC Manager (if STEP 7 is not installed).

https://w3.siemens.com/mcms/industrial-communication/en/support/ik-info/Documents/mn_ncm_pc-76.pdf

2. No. If you recreate the PC Station correctly, you "download" your configuration via PC (internal) in Set PG/PC Interface. You use the Station Configuration Editor to add your computer's "modules" (ex: Application or OPC Server, Ethernet)

3. You cannot use NCM PC Manager to upload a PLC, you have to have SIMATIC Manager (main component of STEP 7).

4. You have to look at the diagnostic buffer using SIMATIC Manager/STEP 7 to see the issue with faults.
@ Sigmadelta,
Thanks for the response.

1. I downloaded this pdf before, Please from what page can I find particularly procedures for re-creating and configuring PC station?

2. Do I have to upload the program first before recreating and doenloading to the PLC? for SIMATIC NET and WinCC to communicate with the S7-400 (PLEASE NOTE- TCP/IP in the presence of CP441-1).

Please forgive me for asking stupid-like questions.

1. Page 79 of 300. Except you would use WINCC instead of OPC Server (if Simatic NET is being used for WinCC, see below).

2. You do not download anything to the PLC. The Simatic PC Configuration is "downloaded" to your PC.

Typically, you do not need Simatic NET for WinCC to communicate to the PLC, although it is possible the programmer used Simatic NET.

You must use Simatic NET for 3rd party applications (which use OPC, for example) to communicate with the S7 PLC.

Look at your WinCC communication properties from your project in WinCC Explorer.

What is your version of Simatic Net ?

What do you want to achieve exactly ?
Thanks Jesper for responding to me.

VERSION: SIMATIC NET version 8.2+SP1

WHAT I WANT TO ACHIEVE: I formatted a PC-BASED HMI (ESA IPC)because of currupted OS, so I want to reconfigure it to get process data from S7-400. I'm not familiar with PC-Based HMI but this is an opportunity.
HOW DO I RE-CONFIGURE PC PLEASE?
INFO: WinCC explorer, SIMATIC NET, TCP/IP/CP441-1 was used (No documents available). IP address and Computer name of PC is available.

PLEASE HELP
Thanks in advance

1. Page 79 of 300. Except you would use WINCC instead of OPC Server (if Simatic NET is being used for WinCC, see below).

2. You do not download anything to the PLC. The Simatic PC Configuration is "downloaded" to your PC.

Typically, you do not need Simatic NET for WinCC to communicate to the PLC, although it is possible the programmer used Simatic NET.

You must use Simatic NET for 3rd party applications (which use OPC, for example) to communicate with the S7 PLC.

Look at your WinCC communication properties from your project in WinCC Explorer.
YES Bro,

WinCC explorer V7.2 was used with SIMATIC NET V8.2
FOR ''WinCC communication properties from project in WinCC Explorer''.

Via TAG Mgt/connection I saw TCP/IP for s7 protocol and I also saw OPC

Any Further help will be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Dear Sirs,
I intend to read this thread for as long as it lasts.

My system is also running under Step 7.
The PG/PC Interface was not set correctly - but I was able to read and write to and
from the PLC's via Ethernet. (All devices that were on ethernet.)

It also has a lot of motor drives - on Profibus. I was not able to access those till I
got the PG/PC interface set right.

My system dates back to 2007, still running the original softwares - Windows XP.

And I assume you can ping between the computer and the PLC you are trying to communicate with?
Poet.

WHAT I WANT TO ACHIEVE: I formatted a PC-BASED HMI (ESA IPC)because of currupted OS, so I want to reconfigure it to get process data from S7-400. I'm not familiar with PC-Based HMI but this is an opportunity.
HOW DO I RE-CONFIGURE PC PLEASE?
INFO: WinCC explorer, SIMATIC NET, TCP/IP/CP441-1 was used (No documents available). IP address and Computer name of PC is available.
Let me ask in another way.
What is Simatic Net going to be used for ?

You mention WinCC Explorer. This is the configuration software for WinCC.
If so, maybe you have a WinCC project file, and from this you can possibly see the details how WinCC shall connect to the PLC.

edit: WinCC is possibly part of a "PC Station" which in turn is setup with a connection to the S7-400 PLC.
The "PC Station" is an euphemism for Simatic Net.

This is not trivial, so if this is important and/or you are under some time pressure, then maybe you should get help.

Last edited:
'Simatic net re-configuration/s7-400' thread continuation

Hi Friends,

@Sigmadelta.

Please I'm so sorry for delayed response. I had an emergency yesterday and my PC was away from me all through yesterday. Please understand, it's not lack of seriousness please.

Below are the screen shots for the WinCC Explorer communication/connection with S7-412-5HPN/DP and CP441-1: I will appreciate suggestions on the procedure for re-configuring the PC Station running on WinCC explorer V7.2 and Simatic net.

screen shot 1.PNG screen shot 2.PNG screen shot 3.PNG screen shot 4.PNG

I dont know WinCC well enough to know for sure, but to me it looks as if the connction from WinCC to the s7-400 PLC is via a direct connection in WinCC, without Simatic Net. The OPC DA in the 4th screenshot looks as if WinCC is an OPC server for other OPC clients, Again this does not require Simatic Net.
So it is not clear to me what Simatic Net is used for here.

You need to check the IP address of your PC, and make sure it is on the same subnet as your PLC. Your PLC IP is 192.168.0.1. Make sure the Ethernet Adapter (Intel 82574L) on the PC has a 192.168.0.x address, that is not occupied by any other devices on your Ethernet network.

You do not need a Simatic NET configuration. Some instructions on older versions of WinCC instructed the user to install it for drivers.