Siemens PC adapter USB.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi, I have borrowed a PC adapter with the USB interface.
However, I cannot seem to get it to work.

I can access the PLC from another PC with a CP5511 card.

I have installed the latest driver (v1.2), and Control Panel reports that "This device is working properly.".

There is constant green light in both MPI, POWER and USB lamps on the adapter.

I have tried to plug it into various USB ports on the PC.

There is not much to set in the Set PG/PC interface.
I have chosen:
S7ONLINE = PC adapter (MPI)
Local connection = USB
The MPI settings are the same that worked with the CP5511.

It is annoying that there is no test or diagnostics with the PC/USB adapter. I cannot think of any other things that I can check.

I have a PC with Win XP Pro SP1a.

All I get is: "Online: No other active partner can be found".

Any ideas ?:confused:

I have installed the latest driver (v1.2), and Control Panel reports that "This device is working properly.".

Are you sure this message is referring to the MPI-adapter and not to the USB hub itself. If you unplug the USB adapter and then plug it back in, you should get the usual windows "new device found" message - are you getting this?

Roy,

you may be on to something.
I get a "ploinnng" sound from windows, but no icon in the taskbar that a USB device is plugged.

I have had the chance to test the USB adapter in the other PC, and there it works.

Hmmm... how to go on from here ?

Just had a look through the handbook, but it's not exactly a mine of information, especially the "Error diagnostics" chapter.

About the only thing that occurs to me is to deinstall the S/W and reinstall it again.

According to the manual you are prompted during the installation to configure the PG/PC interface and that the options vary according to whether the installation S/W has found S7 or S7-Micro-Win on the PC. Could it be that it gets confused if it finds both?

I've been using these things for a month now, with little trouble. I have loaded the software onto a total of three PCs ranging from P4 2GHz down to P3 - 500MHz, and all had no problems.

I would try this:
1, does your USB port work? Try plugging in something else.
2, check your settings again, use 0 for the address and set your adaptor as the only master.
3, Setup for profibus and try to connect on profibus instead. You will have to ensure that you only plug in at the PLC only, not a slave note.
4, if all else fails, disconnect everything and re-load the drivers.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

About selecting "USB" and not "COM1" in the setup of the PC adapter dialog: That is checked.
Dougs other suggestions are all checked (except reinstalling the driver, see below).

I have STEP7 but not Micro-Win on my PC.

No, I think that the problem is with the USB driver not loading properly despite it reports "all OK" in the Device Manager.
There is no message "new hardware found" when plugging the adapter, and it doesnt appear in the task bar.

I will try to uninstall the driver and then reinstall it.
More later ....

Found it !!

Reinstalling the driver didnt help.

Also, on neither the stationary (with the problems) or the laptop (with no problems) do I get a message "new hardware found", and also not an icon in the taskbar. That only served to confuse me.

No the problem was that STEP7 thought that the simulator was still running (while it really was not). There was an icon in STEP7 that indicated the simulator:
Step7wSimIcon.GIF

After switching the simulator on and off, STEP7 seems to get it right and I could go online with the USB adapter.
Note: When the simulator is ON, STEP7 assumes that it must go online with the simulator and not the real thing.

Sidenote: While editing this the fonts start to look crazy. I hope that it comes out right. Methinks that the new wysiwyg editor is not 100% bugfree.