Siemens Simatic S7-400 PLC Technical explanation!

georgia86

Hello everyone on PLC talk.

Im new here, so i will be humble and was wondering if anyone have a complete description on the simatic s7-400 PLC, how the I/O modules are working, signal modules are working, et200m modules, etc.

I personally thinks that siemens technical document isn`t really are explaining how the modules are functionally working. Its just a sale brochure with a lot of tehcinal terms without going in on how it actually works.

I have found a tehcinal description on s7-200 modules, do anyone of you know if there are similiar inner workings on s7-200 and s7-400?

The reason for this questions are that i have a school project ongoing, and my responsibility is explaining this system.

Excuse for the poor english grammar, im originally from Norway.

Greetings.
Amund.

Thanks Marcius! Just finding that on Siemens site is a challenge, think its pretty messy to find excactly what you are searching for.

But if anyone have actually worked with s7-400 system in real life, does it have any drawbacks, more recent fault diagnostic? On the Siemens site is all perfect off course when they explain the system, but i realize that isn`t the reality. So if anyone have any experience on this system, shout out!

I would like to know, to get a more complete overview on s7-400 plc system.

Amund.

But if anyone have actually worked with s7-400 system in real life, does it have any drawbacks, more recent fault diagnostic? On the Siemens site is all perfect off course when they explain the system, but i realize that isn`t the reality. So if anyone have any experience on this system, shout out!

I would like to know, to get a more complete overview on s7-400 plc system.

Amund.

:confused:I interpret this as you mean that Siemens are flooding the market with garbage? You're talking about one of the market leaders. Where does your rumors/suspicions origin?

We have been using the 400 series extencively since the late 90's and the last 10 years with PCS7. Cannot remember one has ever failed, except for an incident with 230VAC on the Profi field cable that left the blue smoke out of most of the connected nodes and also the 416-2 CPU.

One improvement however, could be a less restrictive CIR. I believe it's coming up with the new 410.

Kalle

Ok, thanks for that extra information Kalle.
Not at all rumors/suspicion at all. The case is just that in a project we always have to see on a system pros and cons. thats it really. And because I have not worked with simatic pcs7 in real life, I`ve just figured maybe someone here have any experience with the system.

Ok, the less restrictive CIR is a thing i didn`t know about. Thank you Kalle!

Amund.

A con? Not always the easiest to set up when starting. And it is pricey. But very reliable and versatile.