AB Kinetix 6000 Autotuning Errors

Ryan1077

Hi there,

First off, any help/suggestions to resolve these issues is greatly appreciated. My drive configuration and servo tuning experience is not with AB equipment software, but mostly with B&R stuff so please bare with me.

I am currently working on a project using 3 Kinetix 6000 (2094-BC01-M01, 2094-BMP5 x2) drives and I am using V19.01 of RSLogix 5000. The 3 motors I am controlling are each an MPL-B1510V-Vxx2. I'm connected to the PLC via ethernet and RSLinx Classic.

I have all of the drives configured as per the AB documentation, and am able to get each drive to the 4 state on the seven segment displays. I am also able to successfully give each drive a direct command such as MSO, etc. without any errors.

Each motor is an axis (X, Y or Z) for a pick and place cell that requires minimal position error in order to function properly, and I am encountering errors when I try to autotune one of the axes. I can't issue a test feedback & command test under the Hookup tab or perform an Autotune on any axis.

I get the error "Online command timed out" when attempting to autotune an axis and there is virtually no documentation as to what might cause this that I have found. It doesn't make sense to me that I am able to issue direct commands, even home the axis and 0 it out using a direct MAH command, but am unable to Autotune any axes.

All I can think of so far:

- Is the autotune function available to only certain versions of RSLogix? If so, which ones? I know the FBD PIDE tune is, but is that the same as a drive tune?

- Is the motor unable to overcome inertia and move, and therefore times out the command because no motion occured?

Once again, any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Check out tech connect article 31668 in the Rockwell knowledge base. I think you must have a tech connect contract to view it.

Unfortunately I do not have an account to access any of those articles and I know they are pretty stingy on their copyright policies.

Each motor is a MPL-B-1510V-VJ42AA, and my understanding from the Rockwell document is that the '2' in VJ42AA says the motor does not have a brake. If it were a '4' then it would.

I have been able to move the axes without any brake commands as well so it definitely does not have a brake.

Check out tech connect article 31668 in the Rockwell knowledge base. I think you must have a tech connect contract to view it.

I'm going to paraphrase from that article the possible causes it lists.

1.The drive is locally disabled
- This one seems unlikely, as he is able to issue successful move commands

2. The program is issuing an MSF instruction that disables the drive
- Unlikely for same reason as #1.

3. The drive is configured to run at a set-speed and therefore ignores the hookup or autotune command speeds.
- I think this one applies to the Ultra 3000 drives more than the Kinetix platform. I am unfamiliar in my Kinetix experience with any kind of fixed-speed configuration

4. The drive is not getting feedback signals from motor.
- Again unlikely since the drive would undoubtedly fault if issued a move command and no feedback present.

5. The axis is already enabled (MSO) via the logic and "ServoActionStatus" = 1.
- I would put my money on this one. I've run into this before. This is of course just a guess without being able to see the code.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dustin

🍻

I fought that battle before. I clearly remember the frustrations and trying multiple things, but I don't remember the solutions.

Things to look at/try:
1. Look over the various status tags for the axis:
ServoActionStatus
DriveEnableStatus
DriveShutdownStatus
BusReadyStatus (is there 480V going to the drive)
DriveEnableStatus
Pos/Neg Overtravel Status
GuardOKStatus

2. I remember once having problems with the drive/axis not being fully configured - although it wasn't initially obvious. Check the axis drive/motor tab to make sure you have the motor entered properly.

3. I remember having tuning issues that I resolved by blowing away the axis from my project and re-entering it.

4. The brake would be another issue, but it sounds like you are mechanically free-wheeling, so I don't think that is your issue.

- Is the autotune function available to only certain versions of RSLogix? If so, which ones? I know the FBD PIDE tune is, but is that the same as a drive tune?
Each type of system requires its own auto tune or must be able to support many different plant models. The PIDE is usually used for temperature control. Temperature and velocity control are non-integrating processes. Tank level and position control are integrating processes. An auto tune written for a non-integrating process will not work for an integrating process. On top of that, integrating and non-integrating processes and have 1, 2 or more poles and dead time.

When tuning drives I would use the auto tune that is in the drive firmware, not the PLC.

Ryan,

You say that the drive will take direct commands such as MSO (which just turns the drive on), but will it actually take a movement command (MAM or MAJ)?

I have found that the hookup test and autotune do not really give you diagnostics - they just timeout after they fail to move (and leave you stumped and belwildered - as you now see)

If you can move the axis, I'd look at the settings in the hookup, tune, dynamics, gains and output tabs. If you are able to post those values, it might help us.

Peter - I think the autotune is available in all versions of controllogix, but not for all drives. The Kinetix 6000 definitely has it.