Acad vs. Acad LT

Marc

We are a custom OEM and use acad for skid design, panel layouts, electrical schematics etc. Our IT guy has suggested dropping down to Acad LT from full blown Autocad which would allow us to purchase more licenses (we have a network deployment w 3/lic files). Any comments, suggestions, good stories/bad stories? I asked about Acad LT with Acad Electrical but he said it wasn't available with LT anymore. Just looking for some feedback.

Marc

If you only use 2D drawing then ACAD LT should work fine. That is what I use for electrical stuff. Skid design is another thing, it depends how detailed you need it(3D,etc.). You may also want to check into something like TurboCAD.

On the other hand, if you spend alot of time drawing electrical stuff then consider spending more money on ACAD Electrical. It may be cost justifiable due to time saved.

Gerry M said:
On the other hand, if you spend alot of time drawing electrical stuff then consider spending more money on ACAD Electrical. It may be cost justifiable due to time saved.

No "may be" about it. Its a huge time saver and it plays well with several PLC programming packages as well.

------

ACad LT will not do 3D. Here is a question to consider in making your decision: Do your customers or suppliers ever provide you with 3D drawings that you need to view, edit, or incorporate into your designs?