Accessing a PLC remotely.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,
I know this topic has been discussed before, but technology changes every day and there are new tools we can use.
This is my situation. I have a PLC (CompactLogix) in a place where there's no analog telephone line available, but there's internet access. They don't have a computer with RSLogix 5000, though.
I was wondering if exists an easy, free (or cheap) way for me to remotely connect to this PLC. I was thinking about using a free VPN software at both ends (their computer and my computer with RSLogix 5000) and make them connect their computer (with internet access) to the PLC (through the panel switch).
I've been trying with Comodo Unite without success.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

I sincerely hope that you don't plan on using this PLC for anything serious, such as running a plant. If you do, be prepared to have unknonw foreign hackers tinkering with your PLC program.

I sincerely hope that you don't plan on using this PLC for anything serious, such as running a plant. If you do, be prepared to have unknonw foreign hackers tinkering with your PLC program.
It's just to do some specific troubleshooting/modification. I am not planning on leaving the remote computer connected all the time.

I use E W O N 2500CD or Teamviewer for this purpose.
E W O N has pretty strong security. Costs approximately 1000 $ per installation.

Teamviewer requires the local operator to start the VPN connection manually. So a hacker cant just go online. And I think it is quite safe even when the VPN connection is up.
Teamviewer only costs approx 700 $ per remote control seat (that'll be you). Each remote installation is free (that'll be your customers site).

I use E W O N 2500CD or Teamviewer for this purpose.
E W O N has pretty strong security. Costs approximately 1000 $ per installation.

Teamviewer requires the local operator to start the VPN connection manually. So a hacker cant just go online. And I think it is quite safe even when the VPN connection is up.
Teamviewer only costs approx 700 $ per remote control seat (that'll be you). Each remote installation is free (that'll be your customers site).
Thank you, Jesper.
I could use the trial version of Teamviewer, but my question is: will it work in the case I described? I mean, the computer connected to the PLC does not have the PLC software. It's not like I'm controlling remotely a computer that has RSLogix 5000. The RSLogix is with me far away from the PLC.

Thank you, Jesper.
I could use the trial version of Teamviewer, but my question is: will it work in the case I described? I mean, the computer connected to the PLC does not have the PLC software. It's not like I'm controlling remotely a computer that has RSLogix 5000. The RSLogix is with me far away from the PLC.
Yes, I wrote a guide HERE.
The guide describes how to Teamviewer VPN with Siemens STEP7, but the principle is the same. You just have to have the intermediary PCs IP address set as the "router" (or "gateway") in the AB CPU.

I could use the trial version of Teamviewer,
I'll go as far as giving Teamviewer my unrestricted stamp of approval. It is one of the most impressing pieces of software that I have seen. Totally easy to use, has lots of great functionality, stable, and very reasonably priced.
Proof that germans actually can write good software.
I think you should buy at least a license. It is a one-time expense that is very small compared to what else you pay for when dealing with industrial control systems.

Yes, I wrote a guide HERE.
The guide describes how to Teamviewer VPN with Siemens STEP7, but the principle is the same. You just have to have the intermediary PCs IP address set as the "router" (or "gateway") in the AB CPU.
I need to register to access the file. Could you post the file here?
Thank you!

Question, Jesper:
The remote PC does not need to have 2 NIC cards, does it? Couldn't be the one of the NIC cardd replaced with a wireless card (for the LAN connection)?

Thanks.

Don't know if I am talking out of my hat or not, but...

The OP said that the client does not have the PLC software on their computer.

If using TeamViewer wouldn't the PC that the OP is connecting to need to have RSLogix on it for it to be of any use?