CompactLogix to SLC Remote IO

CGL

I have a applicataion where we are repalcing an existing SLC 5/05 PLC with a CompactLogix L43. The existing system has SLC Remote IO racks, connected with a 1747-SN on the PLC and and a 1747-ASB on the remote IO.

The preference for the new system is to reuse the existing remote IO racks, to save wiring, cost etc etc
My question is what are the options for connecting this to the CompactLogix L43?

The L43 needs 2 Ethernet/IP modules (1768-ENBT) for connecting to other systems.
From what I can see, there is no DeviceNet adapter for the SLC remote IO. There is a ControlNet adapter available but this would need one of the 2 communications slots on the L43. Is there an Ethernet adapter availabe? Should I look at a serial connection?

Hope this Helps

Compact Logix systems cannot control Distributed SLC I/o via {Ethernet, control net , device net) as of yet.You have to consider Control logix and DHrio module to use existing SLC I/Os.(One Option)

I believe that some time in the near future (before the end of this year), a new SLC ethernet adapter module will be available so that SLC racks can be used with Compact Logix or Control Logix.

Thanks for the replies.

The 1747-AENT would be ideal but unforuntately we can't wait for that to come out.

I was wondering if you could put a 1747-SDN DeviceNet scanner on the remote IO rack and set it up as slave, but you would then need a processor as well, and I'm not sure that that would even work.

One other option is to put a SLC 505 procesor on the remote IO rack. You could then message to that over Ethernet and just map the IO in the SLC 505 procesor.

It might be as well to just replace the remote IO with Point IO or Flex IO.

The 1747-AENT is a mythical beast, long spoken about around the campfires by the shores of the great Lakes. I won't believe in it until I see it.

The usual method for re-use of 1746 I/O racks is to use ControlLogix and A-B Universal Remote I/O (RIO) networking, with 1756-DHRIO or 1756-RIO scanner in the ControlLogix the 1747-ASB in the remote racks. I've done it many times.

The ControlNet Adapter for 1746 I/O doesn't work with ControlLogix or CompactLogix. It's strictly for PLC-5C15 or 1747-SCNR scanners.

When your controller is CompactLogix instead of ControlLogix, that reduces your options a little, because of course the 1756-DHRIO isn't available.

In your case, the system is already using a large CompactLogix and multiple Ethernet modules... going to a ControlLogix CPU would give you access to the 1756-DHRIO, and your problem is solved.

I don't recommend the SLC+1747SDN or the SLC+Ethernet Messaging methods. They are technically feasible but inelegant.

If you're committed to CompactLogix 1768-L43 and you must re-use the existing SLC I/O, one possible solution that I know will work is the QTS "AN-X" module for RIO. It acts as a RIO scanner for the RIO network, and as an EtherNet/IP I/O module, effectively bridging the two networks at Ethernet I/O speeds.

Last edited:
Ken looking at the AN-X modules now for my conversion and a new tool in the toolbox.

The 1747-AENT is a mythical beast, long spoken about around the campfires by the shores of the great Lakes. I won't believe in it until I see it.

The usual method for re-use of 1746 I/O racks is to use ControlLogix and A-B Universal Remote I/O (RIO) networking, with 1756-DHRIO or 1756-RIO scanner in the ControlLogix the 1747-ASB in the remote racks. I've done it many times.

The ControlNet Adapter for 1746 I/O doesn't work with ControlLogix or CompactLogix. It's strictly for PLC-5C15 or 1747-SCNR scanners.

When your controller is CompactLogix instead of ControlLogix, that reduces your options a little, because of course the 1756-DHRIO isn't available.

In your case, the system is already using a large CompactLogix and multiple Ethernet modules... going to a ControlLogix CPU would give you access to the 1756-DHRIO, and your problem is solved.

I don't recommend the SLC+1747SDN or the SLC+Ethernet Messaging methods. They are technically feasible but inelegant.

If you're committed to CompactLogix 1768-L43 and you must re-use the existing SLC I/O, one possible solution that I know will work is the QTS "AN-X" module for RIO. It acts as a RIO scanner for the RIO network, and as an EtherNet/IP I/O module, effectively bridging the two networks at Ethernet I/O speeds.

Here at Automation Fair in Chicago. The 1747-AENT is being demo'd. Available when V20 of Logix 5000 is to be released.

Pro-Soft makes an E/IP to RIO adapter. It is stand alone and uses virtually the same config. software as the 1756-RIO does. (I think they make the 1756-RIO for AB)

It would allow you to scan your RIO over E/IP in CompactLogix. I think they are under $2k.

RSL

Regarding 1747 AENT

I believe it should be available by december 2011 end,at least according to my rockwell sales guy.Can any one here confirm this information?

I won't believe in it until I see it.

HMM do you believe !!!